PDA

View Full Version : Switching from TCAs to SSRIs

Kalita
11-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Has anyone had any experience in switching from a TCA to an SSRI?
I'm currently taking Dothep 75mg with Valium 5mg. Been on this combination for 8 years but recently it seems that it's not working anymore. My panic disorder is getting worse and my depression seems to be back. Any advice please?!

alankay
11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Have you tried ssri's before? Why a TCA? TX! Alankay

Kalita
11-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I've been told that SSRI's would be more responsive for combined depression and anxiety. I've been on a TCA ever since I suffered my first panic attack. I don't know why they chose to put me on a TCA.

Kalita
11-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Oh and no, I've never been on an SSRI before.

alankay
11-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Should be an easy switch for the most part. Alankay.

Kalita
11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the positiveness. I'm praying your right. I'm freaked out at the thought of trying a different medication but on the other hand I'm excited that there are meds that treat depression AND anxiety! No one ever told me the medication I was taking was purely an antidepressant, and here I am just managing to hang in there from day to day with my anxiety!

Manpie
11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I've been on SSRI's since 2001 and I keep telling my doctors they're not working but they never change them for something different. Feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Kalita
12-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Manpie, can they increase the dose you are on? This is what makes me apprehensive. My meds I'm on now work to a certain degree. I admit, a certain SMALL degree. But switching to an SSRI?! How do I know it's even going to work?! I'm freaked at just the thought of trying something new!! :(
I hope things get better for your soon Manpie.