PDA

View Full Version : fear and self loathing in Brisvegas

funkstarsista
11-16-2012, 01:38 AM
So, I bailed on my job and secretly hoped they would sack me because I felt I didn't deserve it.
I told the director I'm suffering from depression (I didn't say that the REAL reason is Anxiety) and I'm going to take time off to start treatment. She was wonderful, supportive and kind.
I tried zoloft, no good, now lexpro and I am feeling somewhat better but I still don't feel ready to go back to work.
It's been 2 months and they are just waiting for my call.
It's a great job, pays well and I am very lucky to have it.
Why don't I want to go back? Work was the scene of a lot of my anxiety. I know it wasn't the job or the people, it was ME. Despite logically understanding this I STILL feel avoidant.
I think I am self sabotaging.
I feel unworthy of this great job.
I need to improve my self confidence and self esteem.
I don't know what to say to the other staff about where I have been.
I've always been embarrassed and secretive about my problem. Talking about it was actually a trigger for me...denial, denial, denial.
I'm feeling a bit better now and ready to tell people (not the people at work because it isn't really relevant if I am better).
Should I wait until I am 100% better to go back to work or go back while I am in the early stages of getting better? Am I just making excuses.
For anyone who has told friends and family about GAD - how did u do it? What did you say?
Do I need to just take leap of faith, give myself some tough love and go back to work?
Almost always it's my anticipation that is the problem, and once I do the thing I feared I go "what was the big deal?"
I appreciate any thoughts, advice. Thank you :)

alankay
11-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Yes, allot is anticipatory anxiety. How much lexapro are you on? 10mgs at least but you may need to go to 20mg. I bet you would adjust to work. At somepoint you need to try. Just tell folks who ask you were depressed and had someother thing like low thyroid or just family/personal problems......I don't know for sure but yeah it's not always easy to know what to tell people. It might be a good idea to wait a bit longer but that choice is yours. I do think from personal experience, allot of it is anticipatory anxiety. PM any time. Alankay

funkstarsista
11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Thank you Alan. I'm on 10mg and want to go to 20mg gradually. My good friend had a break down recently and she is on 25mg, she said she has no anxiety/panic attacks anymore. I can only dream of feeling that free :-) I want to be THERE. Not just kind of OK, or pretending, I'm sick of that life, I want to be LOVING life :-)

eyebob
11-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Sorry to hear where you are. I was in that same headspace for about a month, but lexapro and counnselling have really helped. Anticapatory anxiety really sucks. Mind spinning, etc. Habg in there, the drugs should help, hopefully enough to have you give work a try again.

Keep us posted.

jhunter89
11-17-2012, 07:30 PM
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

funkstarsista
11-17-2012, 07:49 PM
always on the outside looking in eh Hunter? ;)

funkstarsista
11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Eyebob, what dose of Lexparo are you currently on? Can you share what has helped you most in counselling? Any tips? Thanks :)

jhunter89
11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeh that's me :( LOL