PDA

View Full Version : Just started Lexapro

sleeper
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone,
I've been suffering from anxiety disorder for about 17 years.
It started with some panic attacks way back in 1988, through
the years it got worse. Early symptoms were muscle tightness,
racing heart, tremors,unbalanced feeling, weight feeling on my chest,
and this tingling, web-like feeling that always traveled around on my left
side. Sometime it would feel like tickling in my throat, other times it would
be near my heart and cause it to be jumpy and skip a beat.

Over the years I was treated with Xanax (which helped a little) and
Paxil (helped with some of my symptoms but I gained a lot of weight).
Recently I lost my job and the anxiety has returned big time.
I started Lexapro this week and so far I have experienced light-headedness, a feeling like cold water is traveling through me, and tingling hands. Is this normal? Has anyone had side effects like this from Lexapro?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigslick
04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I am currently on Lexapro and have been for a year. When I started taking it I had none of the symptons you describe and had no side effects except dry mouth. It takes some time before it fully gets into your system and with a few more days you might start reaping some of the benefits it has to offer. In the mean time you should contact your doctor. I have had bad experiences with medications but lexapro has been a good one for me and I have been having PA's for about the same amount of time as you. Hang in there and let me know how it is going.

sleeper
04-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Thank you for your help. I did read about Lexapro in the most recent 12th Edition PILL BOOK and it does say that in some people they get more nervous and anxious. I think that's what's happening with me. I'm on day five and during the mornings, after about 2 hrs. after taking Lexapro I feel nervous like heck, like a panic attack is coming on. I feel like a weight os on my chest at times and I feel like my breathing is almost a struggle. I haven't felt this weird since my first panic attacks used to happen. I have to take a Xanax to ease this feeling.

I, for years, have had anxiety in the morning. I always feel like I HAVE to go somewhere even when I don't have to (get myself ready, leave the house, go through traffic, etc.). My parents have never had a car and it was always up to me to drive them to places they needed to go, drive my younger brother to school, drive myself to work after all that... I believe my body and nervous system has conditioned itself to this mania on a daily basis. It never stops.

Bigslick
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Did your doc suggest sticking it out?

There are other medications that are similar that may not have the same effect. I took Zoloft for a while and it worked just as well as Lexapro. Hang in there!