PDA

View Full Version : binaural beats for stress reduction?

falconlady
09-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Has anyone tried listening to binaural beats for stress, anxiety or depression? I listened to it on youtube the other night and I really did sleep better. I'm not sure if it was that helpful, or the placebo effect or the fact that I was exhausted! Any thoughts?

Enduronman
09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
I have not tried that approach yet, but this is proven to introduce full REM sleep for many..It works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZmU2GnUdA

E-Man. :)

falconlady
09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks E-man!! I've seen that before and I love it! Now, if I could just get Samuel L. Jackson to come tell my kids that

falconlady
09-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks E-man!! I've seen that before and I love it! Now, if I could just get Samuel L. Jackson to come tell my kids that

falconlady
09-27-2012, 09:14 AM
sorry for the double post - computer has a mind of its own

jhunter89
09-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Haha brilliant

owl
09-27-2012, 09:07 PM
To Enduronman: lol you, sir, are awesome! I like that story and Samuel L has the perfect voice for it.

To falconlady: I have tried using binaural beat programs too. I have struggled falling asleep for a long time. When I had an Android phone I had the app Relax and Sleep, which basically plays any ambient sound on repeat for as long as you specify. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes the sound stopped and I was still tossing and turning in bed. It's hard to comment on the success rate.

Still, I realized the need for a sleep app when I switched phones. I have an app called BrainWaves from Banzailabs. They have several different programs on it all with different claims. Some examples are Deep Sleep, Stress Reduction, Energy Boost. I have used Deep Sleep and Dreamy Sleep in the past and they were ok, I guess. I didn't remember my "Dreamy Sleep" dream though.

I'm not sure how well listening to these soundscapes works, but I want to believe it works. I'm someone that tries things because even if they sound silly, what if they do work for me? When I read a study that listening to classical music while studying helped you to better retain the info, I started to do that. Someone told me that listening to Rainymood helps you calm down, so I tried that.

I found out on my own about listening to white noise/brown noise/pink noise to reduce stress. I think that works, at least. The gentle buzzing eventually stops seeming loud and it starts to become background noise and eventually it sounds pleasant but the sound is more like a feeling. lol I'm pretty bad at describing it. It's worth trying though. And even a placebo effect is good if it makes you feel better.

falconlady
09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Thank you so much for your reply and the suggestions. I love the sound of rain so I will try that one. I listened to the binaural beats again last night and I slept for about 6 hrs.(a record for me) and, I feel much more rested. You are so right, whatever works! You are right about E-man too, he is awesome! I laughed about that all day!

jhunter89
09-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a storm app on my iPhone that makes rain/wind/thunder noises etc i sometimes put it on when trying to sleep to relax me :)

falconlady
09-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately my children have iphones but I do not:( I thank you for the suggestion though! I love the sound of storms and the ocean so I am looking for these tonight on youtube.

lmgibson87
09-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes, I love the iphone apps that the company TESLA puts out. They are really inexpensive and work wonders!