PDA

View Full Version : Question

mcornejo
09-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Im wondering if meditation,deep breathing, etc work at reducing anxiety? I mean I've never tried and I always thought that those are for gad. If you're afraid of specific things then you address those things not just just breath differently

DragonLilly
09-20-2012, 01:04 AM
There is proof these things do in fact help. Deep breathing and meditation are great ways to calm yourself down. Basically to meditate you find somewhere quiet where you can clear your mind and relax. Laying in bed and listening to your favorite music is a form of meditation. You don't have to be religious or make humming noises to meditate, you just have to do something peaceful you enjoy.

Deep breathing is healthy as it gives the body more oxygen which relieves it from stress, and if the body is under less stress naturally you are too! :)

dazza
09-20-2012, 01:04 AM
They work for some.

I'm of the belief that such exercises or activities are a form of distraction - rather than a direct effect.

Distraction is often key to passifying anxiety, since it stops your "what if..." thought patterns as you concentrate on the activity.

DragonLilly
09-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I suppose in the end different thing work for different people?

Personally my anxiety requires I talk to someone, because if I ignore it I just end up building up with stress until I burst and have an emotional meltdown. But my depression, which runs in my family, has no reason or cause so 'distractions' really help me. So for me it helps but I need other supports to get past my fears and frustrations.

inzombiac
09-20-2012, 01:49 AM
I use the relax app on iPhone / iPad. It works for me. :) just try it

mcornejo
09-20-2012, 03:27 AM
I guess I'll just need to try. I'm pretty impatient so I just stop meditating or deep breathing before it even does anything

raggamuffin
09-20-2012, 04:42 AM
I've tried meditating but I found it hard. Had some discs from the Linden Method. but apparently it takes a lot of rpactice to be able to do it properly. I agree with Dazza, I find distraction can often be instant relief for anxiety and pains etc. Soemtimes it just dulls the pains, other times I totally forget about it. Unfortunately not whilst exercising, that tends to be when I feel pain the most. But when I get home I feel good for having exercised and feel better inside, even if i'm still experiencing anxiety related pains.

Ed