PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Approaching, Major Anxiety

trinidiva
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I have always been very,very scared to fly since I was a child. As the years have gone on, I think the fear has gotten worse. I've pretty much used every excuse in the book for the past two years not to have to fly....but now, we are scheduled to take a family trip out of the country to see some members of my family and I am TOTALLY freaked out, just about the long flights. I have my xanax on hand, but I also have to take care of my young kids on the flight as well. I just really hope that there are calm skies, because I really won't be able to handle turbulence at all. Do any of you have flight worries as well? Please share what works for you other than a couple of glasses of liquor....lol.... Thank you!!!

ADD
09-10-2012, 07:48 PM
All you have to remember is that no plane has went down because of turbulence..It's just atmospheric conditions, nothing to worry about.

Also keep your seatbelt on when not assisting your little ones, it gives you a piece of mind.
Hope this helps.

trinidiva
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I usually do keep my seat belt on....I just feel that I have to keep a calm demeanor for my kids. I'm usually the one who is breaking all the bones in my husband's hand during the takeoff and have my head buried into his shoulder. I've even grabbed complete strangers when travelling alone. I had one lady give me an angel charm off her charm bracelet because she saw how scared I was. It is really something deep seeded because I have been like this as long as I can remember.

ADD
09-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Statistically speaking flying is the safest way to travel, it is highly unlikely that something will go wrong when you are on that plane.
Also when about to take off try to relax your body, lean your head against your seat don't push forward as the G forces will put immense pressure in your neck muscles..

Another way you can go about it is, talk to your husband have him engage you in a conversation which pleases you . Before you know it within minutes you will be 10.000 feet :).

Let me know if you need to know anything else I can go on forever about this. Cheers.

trinidiva
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I saw an article today that showed just how many planes are in the air at any given time....it really put things into perspective for me. I have just been getting ready for my trip and I'm excited....I'm trying my best not to worry anymore and just enjoy myself!!!!

AceParadox
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm flying to Tokyo soon to visit my Grandparents and other relatives, I'm a bit scared myself but not exactly of the flying part; I'm afraid of getting an anxiety attack on the plane itself. It's a 12 hour flight to Japan, and I don't have any medications. I suppose I'll have family with me, but just remembering the panic attack I had the other night, it had me in tears at one point, would not want to ruin everyones trip by having that occur on the plane :/

Do you think they serve chamomile tea on planes?

trinidiva
09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Probably not, but you could probably pack a few tea bags in your bag and just ask for a cup of hot water on the plane.

That's actually a very food idea, I think I will pack a box for my upcoming trip.

Actually, a panic attack on the plane worries me too...I feel like I have to put on a brave face for my kids....if I am terribly upset, I'm sure they will get nervous as well.

blondie33
09-19-2012, 09:56 PM
What helps me when I fly is I download my fave movies/ shows onto my Ipad & pop on my ear buds. For some reason this calms me.