PDA

View Full Version : Lost and in need of help. Am I depressed, suffering from anxiety or just stessed?

lost_the_way
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and am looking for some advice. My apologies if it is a long post.

I suffered from depression about 10 years ago which at the time was considered mild and I briefly took medication to deal with the issue.

I have felt down for the last few months but over the past few weeks, things have got really bad and I'm not sure
what (if anything) needs to be done. These are the sorts of problems I've been experiencing:

1) Worrying about anything and everything and it gets so bad that it does keep me up at night.

2) I suffer from OCD and this can get quite bad. I am not sure what triggers it but does tend to get worse when I'm tired.

3) Hair pulling - done this on and off for years. Not done it for a while but just started again.

4) Feelings of isolation. Sometimes, feel empty like I am there but my mind is elsewhere. Struggle to join in conversations at times and just sit in silence.

5) I can get upset over the slighest things. This is something I have never experienced before and it does worry me

6) Struggle to get out of bed and lost motivation to do anything, even the hobbies that I usually enjoy doing

These are just some of the problems I have experienced recently and have tried to speaking to my partner who has suggested that it may be a case of being stressed and overworked. This may very well be it but I am not sure what to think.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can shed some light on these issues, a possible cause and what I might need to do next.

alankay
08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Anxiety, depression and OCD can have some overlap and it seems to be the case for you. I bet you'd benefit from a trial of luvox or other ssri. Have you visited with a doc to talk about all you're feeling? Alanay.

mckeekers
08-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I do the hair-pulling thing too. I think it simultaneously soothes me and allows me to vent some physical energy. One of a couple ticks I have to deal with anxiety.

In reference to your question, my therapist has always said that anxiety and depression go together hand in hand. They are both part of a generalized mood disorder.

I'd def. recommend seeing a doctor. I have found Prozac helpful especially in addressing any depressive tendencies.