PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

vee
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi.
Im new to this forum. It sounds like a great place to vent my frustrations and emotions on my anxiety.
Ive decided to join because lately my anxiety has been taking over my life. I struggle to do the simplests of tasks, like travelling
on public transport. I dont visit my family that much because I get anxiety attacks on the train and I really suffer, as a result my
sister has fallen out with me because she says that I have 'changed' and yeah I have changed but not in the way that she thinks.

My anxiety is almost taking over my life, I struggle to get to work but never fail to go, I struggle to go out with mates even with my
boyfriend for meals, holidays, days out etc....
but I am still the fun, bubbly person that I always was and I remain to stay positive because being negative is not the way forward.
I just need someone who can relate to me, what is happening to me.
I am not on medication but I am thinking of trying some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Has anyone else had this? or is having this right now?

Dont be afraid to leave posts.

Vee.

I am not my brain
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Hey Vee,

I'm new here too.

Anyways, I don't suffer from panic attacks anymore, but I still experience anxiety so I understand everything you are experiencing.

I have had success with CBT, but it is only when have a negative thoughts that I buy into. It doesn't work so much when I have racing intrusive thoughts. It is definitely a great tool to learn and will help you recover.

No matter how you feel just keep going on, and living your life as if you don't have anxiety. Dodging things always makes things worse, and nothing is wrong with you, it's just your brain playing tricks. :)

vee
07-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I just left a comment on your post :)

I think we think quite similar to each other. I have quite a positive approach to anxiety and I think thats the reason why I dont let it stop me from doing everything. I go to work like normal, shopping etc.. but sometimes I when my routine breaks I over think and then I go into a anxiety attack. I will beat this. Ive always said that I will, I just need to try everything thats possible.

How many sessions of CBT did you have?
Most people have given me positive feed back on this so I just purchased a book on it and then I will go to my doctors! :)

I am not my brain
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Well I worked with several therapists, some individually, some in group sessions. After i learned how to perform it effectively I have used it every time a recognized me dwelling or thinking negatively.

It's really a simple thing to learn, it is just of matter of actually using it.

I know you'll definitely be able to learn easily, it's just matter of recognizing negative thoughts, jotting them down, and coming up with more realistic, balanced thoughts.

The brain is a very funny thing. It shoots off automatic negative thought all day, but no positive ones. If it was the other way I doubt any of this would be goin on with anyone.