PDA

View Full Version : Connection between intelligence and anxiety

juliana
02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi there. I'm wondering if there's a connection between intelligence and anxiety. I've been reading a lot of posts here and it seems like one thing we all have in common is that we're intelligent and were clever, deep-thinking children. I was a piano "prodigy" and academics were exceptionally easy for me. I have a nearly-photographic memory so I didn't have to study when I was in school. Anxiety and depression run in my family, but it seems to only afflict the "high achievers." I'm wondering if there's a connection. It seems that people who suffer from OCD, anxiety, and depression are highly analytical and ponder things very deeply. We spend a lot of time thinking -- sometimes over-thinking things. So, are our brains wired for anxiety? I'd love to know what you all think and hear your thoughts and experiences. Any research you have read on this subject would be of interest to me.

thechad
02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Statistically, yes, people with a higher-than-average IQ are more at risk for anxiety and OCD, while people with lower-than-average IQ more often suffer from schizophrenia, etc.

Intelligent (with high IQ) people do however live longer, statistically.

The connection between anxiety and IQ though is not that big. It doesn't automatically mean, that if you are clever, you will have anxiety. (One could for example say that real clever people find a way to deal with their anxiety)

Also, when you are saying that it only seems to afflict the "high achivers" then you are very wrong. Many "unintelligent" people suffer from anxiety, and its often much worse for them - the reason you only see intelligent people on this forum, is probably because only intelligent people work hard at getting their anxiety under control, trying every possible solution, and thus also got the idea of joining this forum.

Regards,
thechad

i'm new btw.. :)

juliana
02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
It's nice to meet you. I'm quite new here too.

Thanks for the input. I'm always looking for reasons WHY I am the way I am. When I was a little girl, my mum would take me to the doctor about my various stress-related tummy problems. The doctor would always say things like, "It's just because she's so bright" or "It's because she's creative." I bought into that and there have been times I've wished I could trade the high IQ and artistic abilities for a more worry-free life. I also think -- if I'm so damn smart and creative, why can't I figure out an intelligent or creative way to stop worrying and stop having panic attacks? It doesn't make sense. I can't make sense of my own mind. I should be able to do the "simple" things -- like going grocery shopping or taking a car trip -- without being filled with dread and panic. I feel like I should be able to put my mind to work for my benefit. Instead, it seems to be my worst enemy at times.

V for Victor
02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Definately, people of higher intelligence seem to have more problems with things like OCD.

Look at Howard Hughes. He was the richest, most successful man on the planet at his time because he was so brilliant. Yet, OCD eventually overcame him.

But that was before anybody knew what it was. Nowadays, we know we can use our intelligence to control it.

jitters
02-13-2007, 02:15 AM
It is true that above average IQ's seem to come hand in hand with these issues. But I think maybe it is a kind of creative intelligence. As it is our imaginations which create the fears and trigger the anxiety. If you were not smart enough you would not be able to understand enough to create those things we fear.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. ~Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles," 1992 (commonly misattributed to Nelson Mandela, 1994 inauguration speech)

Duncan

tenacious G
02-19-2007, 02:53 PM
im pretty sure i know the real cause of anxiety... add me on msn if you need help

_ADDRESS REMOVED_ by jitters

jitters
02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
If you want to tell us what this is go ahead and post. Otherwise go away. :thwack:

By order of me.