PDA

View Full Version : Weaning off XANAX XR

Cassiopeia
06-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I've been taking 0.5 mg twice daily for roughly two months. What do you think would be the safest and easiest way to wean off this drug? I'm getting help but would like other opinions too.

hopeNfaith88
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Didnt you already post this?

Cassiopeia
06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Yes I did, but I didn't get as many replies as I wanted... lol. What do you think?

hopeNfaith88
06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
The best way to do it would be to drop down 0.125mg every 5 days. I did this with regular xanax after taking 2-4mg a day for a year. I also weaned myself completely off of immediate release oxycodone after taking 90mg a day for almost 3 years. It can be done, and you wont have withdrawals if any by doing it that way.
Only possible withdrawal symptom is increased anxiety but that will pass. After only two months on XR you have no risk of seizures or any of the potentially dangerous side effects of benzo withdrawal. So dont stress about it. Anyone on here will tell you that two months is not long at all.

Cassiopeia
06-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Thanks hope! :)

bhamlaxy
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
With that dose and timeframe, you aren't in any major danger. I stopped taking ativan almost cold turkey (although Lexapro had kicked in) after 2 months of .5mg a day and felt zero withdrawals.

You will be totally fine, especially by slowly reducing the dose. Some people successfully wean off of much more addictive drugs after taking it for years.