Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm 25 now and have not had this in quite a while unless its a bad anxiety attack but you will not be stuck forever. Off and on throughout my teenage years I would go through periods and sometimes months of not wanting to leave the house. I would literally panic at the thoughts of leaving the house. My parents would have to pick me up and drag me out to the car to get me to the psy! And the whole time I had extreme anxiety. It did pass, and you can overcome this!

During many post natal depression bouts over 28 years I have never suffered from agropohobia but this depression because of hormone imbalance because of my age started in March 2011 and for the first time I have suffered from agrophobia. My favourite weekend is getting in from work on a friday night and not leaving the house until monday morning. I have stopped my social life, running my 13 year old cub pack I founded, and going to town, food shopping or watching my local football.
    Going to work is a nightmare and some days I cry all the way there and push myself to get there and all day at work I struggle to seem normal and the pressure of that all day means I am exhausted at home in evenings so not kind to husband or want to do anything.
    When off sick I have less pressure, but still not want to go out, and have to push my head to do so. Really hard and husband sick of me not doing things and either him having to do them instead of me, or go alone to watch something without me.
    Can only hope that my hormone treatment, medication and other therapies I am trying like meditation and reflexology start to all work, and I hope to be back to doing all the things outside not done for over 2 years.

I ve had panic disorder for 8yrs. And agoraphobia for maybe 5yrs. First I couldn't leave town, then eat out/restaurants, then certain roads, then I put borders on how far I could go in town. Mind you I live in a very small town ... you can get anywhere in 5min. Good hospital ... etc. I could not visit my father, daughter, and grandmother whom raised me. I would call everyday tho. My life was bad. I could not even walk to the mailbox without feeling sweaty palms and shortness of breath. I began with small steps. First I bought a bike, I would ride it down the road, everytime a lil further. The nice thing about the bike is you can get back home quickly AND the symptoms of a panick attack are similar to excercise. So you don't panic as much because you should feel short a lil breathe, sweat, ... etc. After I got comfortable, I began again, this time with my dog/husky. This time I had to learn to control my pace (walking) and my breathing (nose breathing). This control comes in handy when in a situation of panic (uncontrolled situation).
    You can beat this! It will take a little work/practice, and consistancy. But I promise you, it WILL work. Good luck my friend!!!

So I've been dealing with anxiety and panic since i was 19. I'm 30 now. The last time I left the country was at 18 years old I went on a cruise to Bermuda and it was amazing! Shortly after that I developed severe panic disorder. At first it was under control with meds, I still went places, the beach, downtown, I completed nursing school which required me to travel a lot to different clinical sites alone. But in the last 4 years I've noticed the meds stopped working. I've become immune. And switching meds has become a great fear for me since I've had such bad reactions in the past. I really dread the whole trial and error process and I guess I'd rather be somewhat uncomfortably numb rather than go through that again. Any how, after a disastrous trip down the shore three years ago with family and hubby, I haven't left the "safety" of my neighborhood or 20 mike radius. And if I did, it caused severe discomfort and even one time I made my ride turn around and go back home!! Well last year I married my rock, my biggest supporter, and due to finances and time off from work, we didn't take a honeymoon. But I promised him a 1 year anniversary. So as we are approaching October I knew I had to kick this fear, for him because he deserves to be happy. So last Thursday we drove down the shore, approximately 2 hours, and went jet skiing!! Yes I actually got on a jet ski! And we had a great time and he was shocked that I did it! Hell he was shocked I lasted on the car ride! But I had to tell myself, it will be u comfortable, it will be scary, but you won't die! And even if you do, when it's your time it's your time and there's nothing worrying can do to change it! And now with a newfound courage, I am planning our one year anniversary trip to Dominican Republic on a plane!! I haven't been on one since I was twelve. Keep fighting you can do it!

I get very dizzy. Then I think I will pass out. That's my biggest fear, passing out in public!

Quote Originally Posted by atcmom View Post
    I get very dizzy. Then I think I will pass out. That's my biggest fear, passing out in public!
    Same here!!!! I currently have the flu and I get dizzy from it. But now I'm afraid when I get better I'm going to faint in school or work. :/

Unhappy agree

Quote Originally Posted by jukebox314 View Post
    Same here!!!! I currently have the flu and I get dizzy from it. But now I'm afraid when I get better I'm going to faint in school or work. :/
    hey sorry to bother you but i have the flu and get really dizzy from it too and i have school tomorrow i am extremely worried about how it may go especially since I'm not fully recovered but i have no choice but to go :(

Quote Originally Posted by vanessa2010 View Post
    hey sorry to bother you but i have the flu and get really dizzy from it too and i have school tomorrow i am extremely worried about how it may go especially since I'm not fully recovered but i have no choice but to go
    Same here. You're not bother me. I've noticed that the more I find people in the same situation that I am in, the less anxious I feel. When I get dizzy I get so nervous I start sweating like I'm going to faint. So honestly, I'm kind of terrified to go to both school and work tomorrow. I've had it since Thursday but I still feel like crap! I hope you feel better. :/ sorry I don't have any advice. I'm still figuring it out

Last Saturday I managed to drive 4 miles to the beach along country lanes on my own. The first drive of such a distance since September. Yes I was nervous. I got out the car and quickly walked the 200 metres to the top of the steps above the beach, then back to car.
    In the evening about 9pm I went to sainsbury supermarket on my own and looked at magazines. I felt I had really achieved something but was gonna take things slowly just get back into the habit of going out on short journeys like this then after a while longer ones.

Unfortunately I had a visual migraine aura ( no headache) on the Monday morning. Even though I get less than one a month. So now with the fear of that getting more frequent I'm back to bloody square one! And might as well surrender my driving licence. This has been a horrible year and I'm not looking forward to next year.

I'm new here and just caught your message. I never considered my experience a success story but more of "Survivor's story". I never considered suicide or ending it all, that was never an option. I lived in H E double "L" for seven years and escaped it's grips for ever I hope. I was 23 when it hit and 30 when I let go of it. When it was gone, I knew it but it was like a real bad surgery, it took time to learn to live again and not worry about it returning. The day I let go, was the same day I met my wife of 23yrs. I'm 53 now and I no longer look back at those days as a curse or disease, but more of a gift and a time I learned so much. I wish not to repeat it but I feel if you learn from your experience(in a positive way), then what you are looking for(how to cope with Agoraphobia) will happen sooner than you think. In those days I didn't talk much and just watched, listened and not judge others, but try to understand why people are the way they are. I tend to think I am a better person because of it, but wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Just try to be fair and honest, and don't kid yourself...every hurdle is a nightmare and when you are ready, they will become just memories. I had to wait a few years before I even knew the name of what I had. Have a name was like being cured...only for me though. I knew I wasn't going crazy and never told anyone(at that time). I believe I know how to beat it....a lot of strength, a sense of humor....and learn all you can from this time of your life....It will mean much more in the future, as to how YOU live your life.