Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep

Sleep

Hi

On a daily basis, it roughly takes me about 5-6 hrs to fall asleep, and was wondering if this is common among anxiety sufferers... How long does it take you?

Also, any thoughts on IBD being linked to anxiety ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolfeg123 View Post
    Hi

On a daily basis, it roughly takes me about 5-6 hrs to fall asleep, and was wondering if this is common among anxiety sufferers... How long does it take you?

Also, any thoughts on IBD being linked to anxiety ?

Thanks

Sleep was once a problem for me to. It's easily managed, cut out caffeine, do exercise, try mindfulness? Notice your mind wandering towards worries and thoughts that are only going to keep you awake and let them go.
    I used to play head games such as thinking of maybe capital cities/authors/football teams starting from a-z. That kind of thing. Good luck

I would try Melatonin.

Hey lolfeg,

Absolutely. I've had insomnia since I was a kid and it terrified me. My alcoholism started at around 17 because of it - I preferred to be hung over than not sleep.

I'm 43 now and I get bursts of it. At the moment I'm not bad at all but it can strike at any time, especially with stress. It's horrible but normal. Basically your body is protecting you from getting eaten by a bear lol.. It doesn't realise there are no bears!

When I can't stand it or I have to be up early I take benzos or antihystamines (they're over-the-counter). I'm a bit of a pill popper though and the best thing is to not worry. I've been awake non-stop for a week coming off drugs and nothing bad happened except massive anxiety.

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

It's common with today's humans full stop. Lifestyle related issue also impacted by social and environmental conditioning. IBD can be greatly improved by eliminating 90% of processed and packaged foods combined with stress reduced lifestyle including a little healthy outdoor exposure + mildly integrated psychical activity. The true healing effects of Mindfulness practice like meditation will only work if adopted under a committed and regular practice over a long period of time. The problem is that people are conditioned to go the route of the quick fix mentality with high expectations and doubt alternative methods. I found chemical aids were helpful in the beginning however they soon become hard core dependable crutches that ended up more like hooks that later required more aids to counter bla bla and bla.

Once I worked out I not only needed to change, but also that I needed to stay changed ... I've pretty much nailed my physical health bar the damage that's permanently been done. None the less an alternative life style that's based on the least damaging choices I can afford and a reduction in consumption is helping to reduce that pain of what I can not change. Research circadian rhythm sleep and reassess how important your health really is when it comes to making prioritizing ones routine and preferences.

I recommend eating a couple of raw onions with ground up ginger to start with. LMOA - just kidding ... Onions are actually pungent like garlic ... but make great drugs/flavanoids to hook people with. OH PLEASE just shut the *&^% up all ready! You could go vegan and eat a whole heap of processed foods but that will also *&^% up your patterns as well. I just like to eat plants. Sometimes I drink them too. But I am a nutter ... but be sure to soak and dry those too ... otherwise the phytic acid and antinutrients will stop you from absorbing .... bla bla bla bla bla

Lots of practice - one mindfulness class and an apple with a quick lemon juice won't cut it.

That said ... go make some changes that will last.

Cheers
    ~Ponder
    Last edited by Ponder; 07-23-2017 at 04:44 AM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Whenever u go off on a tangent - is that your OCD manifesting? I've been noticing this when you comment

Last night it took me about an hour, but that was mainly due to I have a big project coming into work that I was nervous about along with I had caffeine last night before bed. My usual routine - no blue light for at least 15 minutes or so before I try to fall asleep along with trying to workout everyday usually does the trick when it comes to falling asleep. Back when it was really bad I had to meditate to fall asleep every single night with guided meditations from placing like Headspace, etc.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    Hey lolfeg,

Absolutely. I've had insomnia since I was a kid and it terrified me. My alcoholism started at around 17 because of it - I preferred to be hung over than not sleep.

I'm 43 now and I get bursts of it. At the moment I'm not bad at all but it can strike at any time, especially with stress. It's horrible but normal. Basically your body is protecting you from getting eaten by a bear lol.. It doesn't realise there are no bears!

When I can't stand it or I have to be up early I take benzos or antihystamines (they're over-the-counter). I'm a bit of a pill popper though and the best thing is to not worry. I've been awake non-stop for a week coming off drugs and nothing bad happened except massive anxiety.

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    Haha! Really like the bear analogy. I'm going to remember this for my super anxious moments.

Quote Originally Posted by lolfeg123 View Post
    Whenever u go off on a tangent - is that your OCD manifesting? I've been noticing this when you comment
    Could you please be more specific?
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by josh0745 View Post
    Last night it took me about an hour, but that was mainly due to I have a big project coming into work that I was nervous about along with I had caffeine last night before bed. My usual routine - no blue light for at least 15 minutes or so before I try to fall asleep along with trying to workout everyday usually does the trick when it comes to falling asleep. Back when it was really bad I had to meditate to fall asleep every single night with guided meditations from placing like Headspace, etc.

Josh
    Yea, cutting out the blue light has been a huge help to me. I am back to cutting out all forms of electronic devices before I go to bed regardless of blue light filters. Guided meditations are helpful, however I found the reliance factor as limiting as I did meds.

lolfeg123 ... you should consider putting a name to your criticisms (or quote) in order to receive a response. Perhaps consider getting more sleep?