Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: new here

new here

Hi,

Im new here and am just trying to understand life. I have had anxiety for the last few years and it gets bad at time to were I cant function and then I will not have a panic attack for months . They have me on Ativan and I hate it but it helps when things are bad but hurt when thing are good. I am just here to make sure im not crazy and there are others like me out there. 35 year old father of three. I have acute anxiety and it comes on out of nowhere. I was at work yesterday and felt like I was going to die. I could not breath and my heart was going crazy. It kept coming in waves. I had to leave work and go home for about 2:30 hours until I could function. Only after 1mg of Ativan and time.
    Last edited by Carl Kramer; 01-10-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Hi Carl and welcome

Ativan is a benzo so you can just take it as needed - in fact that's the best thing to do with them because they build a tolerance really quickly.

35 and a father of 3 is sure to be stressful. You're not crazy (well, as far as I can tell haha) and there are more people suffering from anxiety and depression every day.

All the best,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Hey Carl, you are definitely not alone. Post your story in the general section and I'm sure you would get lots of help.
    My Mental Health Blog - www.fixmybrokenmind.com

Quote Originally Posted by fixmybrokenmind View Post
    Hey Carl, you are definitely not alone. Post your story in the general section and I'm sure you would get lots of help.
    Thank for the tip. Im not sure how to do that yet but will work on it

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    Hi Carl and welcome

Ativan is a benzo so you can just take it as needed - in fact that's the best thing to do with them because they build a tolerance really quickly.

35 and a father of 3 is sure to be stressful. You're not crazy (well, as far as I can tell haha) and there are more people suffering from anxiety and depression every day.

All the best,
    Gypsy x
    yeah benzos suck for me. I have been on add off of them for years and I do not like them but they work. I find I get lost in them and go through bad withdraws coming off of them. It is nice to hear that Im not the only one with this problem.

Welcome to the forum Carl. Life can be full of stress everyday and it can get overwhelming. I find what works best for me
    is some form of distraction, such as a hobby, etc.

Hi Carl, sorry to hear you're having a rough time. Was there anything at work to trigger your anxiety or are there any other factors that kick it off/make it worse.

And you say you've had it for years. Sounds like you were anxiety free before? What might've started it for you? I don't want to guess at kids being part of the story but as gypsy mentioned, it's natural if they add to it. I'm in a similar boat btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Malone View Post
    Hi Carl, sorry to hear you're having a rough time. Was there anything at work to trigger your anxiety or are there any other factors that kick it off/make it worse.

And you say you've had it for years. Sounds like you were anxiety free before? What might've started it for you? I don't want to guess at kids being part of the story but as gypsy mentioned, it's natural if they add to it. I'm in a similar boat btw.
    Nope just talking on the phone and I get a numbness and pain in my side and then all hell brakes loose. Can't breath dizzy a day heart racing. As for when. They started about 7 years ago and I was in a very stressful job and they have been on and off ever since . I try to stay active and work out and do mma training and it seems to help. Just before the holidays I lost 2 grandparents and I was doing good and the out of nowhere this week is really bad. I feel off and not right yet from the attack. My wife is a RN and works alot so I do my fair share of house work and the kids also working full time. So that's about it.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents. Maybe the delayed reaction could be your body telling you you need to slow down, take a break? Im guessing you're busy in all areas of your life. No doubt despite the recent deaths of grandparents, you carried on as near to normal because you have little choice with work and family commitments. Eventually it all catches up on you. You may not have had time to deal with certain issues over the years such as work/family pressures and now grieving for family deaths. Could it be coming out in the form of these panic attacks?