Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eating disorders and anxiety go hand in hand

Researchers say, according to a new study, that adolescent girls with eating disorders are at risk of developing anxiety disorders, and vice versa.

University researchers examinated the simultaneous occurrence of eating disorders and mood disorders among 672 twins (age 16 through 18) from the Minnesota Twin Family Study. The subjects of the study completed structured interviewed that found the occurance of bulimia or anorexia, assessed mood, anxiety, and substance use.

Click here to read the rest of the news story
    Always,
    James

[b]My Other Sites[/b]:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A testament

I am a testament to this. Bad eating habits will make your brain function in an unhealthy manner, hence anxiety, stress, depression..

Hi Duddits,

Certainly seems to make sense. It's eseentially a vicious circle.

Not eating means your brain doesn't get the nutrition it needs to work properly. Then in this depressed state you don't feel like eating.

Markko
    Some Social Anxiety Videos that have helped me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When my anxiety is really bad, I don't eat for days...but have no eating disorder.
    And when a person doesn't eat, it triggers depression.
    Benzos are the only thing that works for me to make me eat.
    That, and marijuana.
    But, I don't like smoking marijuana, but it works to make me hungry.
    And benzos are so addictive, but they are the only thing that gives me relief....at least until my body gets so used to them, and my resistance to them builds up.
    Pot is the only thing that has the least side affects, except, of course, the damage the smoke does to the lungs.
    I wish I could grow it so I could have enough to bake it in things and consume it instead of smoking it.
    My anxiety disorder is "off the charts".

Re: A testament

Quote Originally Posted by seeker83
    Bad eating habits will make your brain function in an unhealthy manner, hence anxiety, stress, depression..
    Couldn't agree more. Good eating habits (especially starting the day with a proper breakfast) can help in reducing anxiety. Even if just a little bit, any help is welcome.

PTSDGAD:
    "Least side effects" does not mean it does not have them, unfortunately. Smoking it does have effects, be sure to research it in specialized information sources. Prolonged use can actually cause an increase in anxiety, for many people, and a small number of people with predisposition do develop other effects.
    My blog on anxiety...
    :) To know more, or just to share ways to feel better.

Eating Disorder

It's definitely not surprising that the connection is there.
    Submit your story here:

I see the connection

I can most defintly see the connection between the two. I mean realy if your suffering from anxiety the last thing on your mind if your all dow nad deprresed is eating. and vice versa.

:|
    Rid your Self of all your anxiety! Free anxiety and stress advice from the top gurus:

that is how i got diagnosed i knew i didnt feel right but i didnt go to the doctor untill i couldnt eat anything at all for a week

Banned
    They talk about anorexia and bulimia...I wonder about the connection for other eating disorders such as compulsive eating disorder or food addiction (close to being considered "legitimate" at this point).

This really caught by eye because sine suffering from anxiety I've found that I literally havent been able to eat. It originally was from the stress and the anxiousness I was feeling but now even when I do feel hungry I feel like I HAVE to be sick or that it's going to really effect me. I wonder if it's just because I'm not feeling myself at the moment but I do hope that I snap out of thinking like that!