Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    great advice, thanks for it.

I guess the only way really to get on top of panic and anxiety and defeat it is to actually experience panic attacks, explore them and prove to yourself that they fail to deliver your worst fears. Its a bit like the Boy who cried wolf.

The first time the boy cried wolf the village panicked and ran. No wolf came
    The second time the boy cried wolf they fortified the village. No wolf came
    The 3rd time they were still scared but again no wolf came
    The 5th time they wern't sure whether to believe the boy or not. Ago no wolf
    The 10 th time they no longer believed the boy and told him to shut up !
    The 11th time they just ignored the boy.

After that the boy got bored crying wolf and just quit doing it.

The same with panic attacks. Eventually they just get annoying instead of scary, then you end up,ignoring them and they quit trying to bother you.

No - not annoying - FUN!

Adrenaline junkies go jumping out of aeroplanes or from the top of skyscrapers to get the same response! They're addicted to feeling it, just like we're addicted to escaping from it. It's the two sides of the same coin. You really can turn it around and turn the fear into excitement. You really can.

I know if I go into town now on a busy day I'll feel a bit weird, I'll feel tingly and a bit of a buzz, I might have the odd shock and have to catch my breath. But I know what's going to happen. I'm reassured because I was right, I expected it, I've practiced handling it, god knows how many times, and I do my shopping, come home again and feel great!
    Last edited by Ryker; 12-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
    No - not annoying - FUN!

Adrenaline junkies go jumping out of aeroplanes or from the top of skyscrapers to get the same response! They're addicted to feeling it, just like we're addicted to escaping from it. It's the two sides of the same coin. You really can turn it around and turn the fear into excitement. You really can.

I know if I go into town now on a busy day I'll feel a bit weird, I'll feel tingly and a bit of a buzz, I might have the odd shock and have to catch my breath. But I know what's going to happen. I'm reassured because I was right, I expected it, I've practiced handling it, god knows how many times, and I do my shopping, come home again and feel great!
    I know what you are trying to say, but a panic attack and the thrill of jumping out of planes isn't exactly the same. The people jumping out of planes that enjoy it, love doing it. They aren't immobilized in a corner in a panic attack miserable. It's based on adrenaline, but it isn't like motorcycle riders and sky divers are enjoying a panic attack. That is not quite the same thing.

true. Losing the fear of the attack is actually the beginning of its death. I went through that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Castillo View Post
    true. Losing the fear of the attack is actually the beginning of its death. I went through that path.
    Yeah and my own theory is that it is a retraining of the brain. Like breaking a habit. I think there is this memory of the panic attack, and at first symptoms you go "OH SHIT!" and your fear kicks it in. So your brain gets stuck on these symptoms equal panic attack. When you can relax and not do the "OH SHIT!" I think the brain gets the message these symptoms do not equal panic fight or flight mode. The more you do this, the more the brain gets the message to not react. That is how I look at it.

thats where Im at right now. Trying to retrain my brain to be in the present and not fear the fear of anxiety or panic attacks. I told my self a few years ago that they are all bluff, all bark and no bite.

I'm fairly new to the boards and I have to say the post was very informative. I haven't had these panic attacks for long this time around. I had some about 9 years ago and they came and passed with no medication and no therapist. I know its possible to get rid of these. I have to say the ones I have now are 10x worse than the ones I had years ago. Debilitating. But I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired and want to beat these things again. I do see a therapist now, just because stressors and crises I had to deal with in the past few months. My GP gave citalopram, had it for 15 days and ready to get off of these things already. I'm done with them. I'd rather use the alprazolam on a very short term basis.

But my therapist sums up beating this thing the way you did. And I'm so ready. Scared yeah, but let's go.

Thank you so much for this post. I'm kind of new to admitting to myself that I struggle with anxiety, and I haven't been able to adequately deal with it up to this point. I'll definitely try your advice the next time I feel a panic attack coming on.

Can't say I necessarily agree that shallow breathing is the most helpful method for me anyway (opinions are opinions), but this sounds like it could help!