Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Do I have social phobia?

I'm new here, so hello! But I'm starting think I have social phobia.

I'm wondering if I have it.

I have a horrible time ordering food, talking on the phone, even talking to my own family! I can't make eye contact, and I constantly obsess over conversations I've had.
    I worry if I've made to much eye contact, or not enough, if I've talked enough, and the list goes on and on. I know this sounds silly, but I will literally order something I don't want at a restaurant just to avoid having to talk a lot.

I hate going to party's, and I can't talk to anybody. I feel like everyone's watching me, especially when I'm doing something.
    I get anxious talking to people as well

I hate this, because I want to be social, but I can't. I have no friends because of this.

Does it sound like I have social phobia? Or is it something else? Any answers help!

Yea Sure ... you can call it Social Phobia ... but don't ever be down on yourself just because you don't feel comfortable mixing in those kind of situations. I am the same on all counts. It's not an easy world to mix in by anyone's standards.

The feeling of wanting to mix is strong in me also. Nothing wrong with that either.

Others will be along shortly no doubt to welcome you also. Srry I can't elaborate right now.

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome to AF.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Hi Pandax I am dealing with something very similar for over 50 years. welcome to the forum , you will find many with similar situation...
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Welcome to the forum

I'm pretty much the same on all counts myself and I've gotten used to the idea of being a loner. I used to be social person (well over a decade ago), but I find now that I embrace the solitude. I have the same with eye contact and speaking, know that all too well. Yes it can get lonely, but, for me, its a better alternative right now.

Best wishes

Welcome to the forum. I would talk your issues out with a health care professional who will help you
    overcome and/or deal with your fears better.

That's called social phobia. I have that problem too but now my condition is much better than before

Quote Originally Posted by Pandax0 View Post
    I'm new here, so hello! But I'm starting think I have social phobia.

I'm wondering if I have it.

I have a horrible time ordering food, talking on the phone, even talking to my own family! I can't make eye contact, and I constantly obsess over conversations I've had.
    I worry if I've made to much eye contact, or not enough, if I've talked enough, and the list goes on and on. I know this sounds silly, but I will literally order something I don't want at a restaurant just to avoid having to talk a lot.

I hate going to party's, and I can't talk to anybody. I feel like everyone's watching me, especially when I'm doing something.
    I get anxious talking to people as well

I hate this, because I want to be social, but I can't. I have no friends because of this.

Does it sound like I have social phobia? Or is it something else? Any answers help!
    Yes, you have some form of social phobia, and the good news is, there's a cure!! Not a generic solution that works for everyone - the cure has to be tailored for each person. Start digging in to books and videos about social phobia and after a while (maybe a long while) you will start to understand why you are the way you are, and from there you can start making your way out of it. The best news is that you've already started your journey to a happier, more free, life by telling us about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful View Post
    That's called social phobia. I have that problem too but now my condition is much better than before
    How do you get over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jull View Post
    How do you get over it?
    Feeling the fear and socializing anyway. When it's uncomfortable try to accept the feelings. If you can't handle it, spend some time alone and ask yourself why these situations are so uncomfortable. I've found this to basically be very helpful.

Yes it is a social phobia.