Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question It's time for medication

Well, I was diagnosed by psychologist for having a general anxiety disorder when I was leaving the military. He recommended that I take medication and prescribed me gabapentin, I did not like the sexual side (reduction of sex drive) effects of the drug (I am a male).

Since I have gone through college I have been able to manage my anxiety, but since landing a great job at a very large tech company I must do presentations and interact with co-workers on a daily basis. I find it hard to converse with people, with the anxiety of being judged and I feel as if I am socially awkward and not accepted. For presenting I am deathly afraid, due to the focus being all on me. I am just an overall anxious and stressed out person when it comes to my health and life in general (the future and such) I am hoping to conquer this with therapy and medication, but I wanting a medication that will not affect me sexually.

Welcome to the forum. I would talk to a natural physician or pharmacist who may be able to suggest natural ways to help with your anxiety.

I have been prescribed Zoloft and haven't taken it yet for fear of the side effects and withdrawals and also the fact that it's only a "band-aid" for anxiety. I would like to go through this without drugs or like Kirk said, "natural ways".

Therapy will help a great deal if you follow through. I'm seeing a counselor and it's been helping a bit.

Some people find kratom effective. It's a natural supplement that works similar to benzos.

Watch out with Kratom though, I'm bipolar and when I tried it, I went severely manic for over a month long and I'll never forget it. Not a good experience to say the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by salvator here View Post
    Watch out with Kratom though, I'm bipolar and when I tried it, I went severely manic for over a month long and I'll never forget it. Not a good experience to say the very least.
    Were you diagnosed with bipolar before you took it?

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    Were you diagnosed with bipolar before you took it?
    I was diagnosed with bipolar at 21. I first tried Kratom maybe around 30, but I also had a bad reaction to pot, so they are both not an option for me. I (sad to admit) have used other substance that are far worse in comparison and didn't have that same reaction, I think I am suffering the consequences (paying the price) now for it though. I have tics and I'm sure my ephedrine over-usage during my 20's is a likely factor, and I was also a heavy drinker for many many years and have only recently quit. Ephedrine was (still is to my knowledge) natural but just because its 'natural' doesn't mean its always safe.

My therapist and primary care doctor recommends Lexapro for the least side effects. Does anyone have any experience with it ?

Salvator - What happens to you on pot ?

Quote Originally Posted by SDLV View Post
    My therapist and primary care doctor recommends Lexapro for the least side effects. Does anyone have any experience with it ?

Salvator - What happens to you on pot ?
    Basically, just extreme paranoia.

I've recently started taking CBD hemp oil and its is working wonders. Natural supplement, and
    no side effects! works right away.