Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Just from reading your posts, i suggest you go up to 10 mg. I think that would be a better dosage for you rather than anything less. You still have quite a bit of anxiety and depression that needs to be treated. You will be surprised when you read this, but when I first started out on Lexapro, I was on 30 mg! I had so much anxiety. But gradually, I cut back to 25, then 20, then 15, then 10 and now 5 mg. But that is ONLY because of the physical side effects. If I had no side effects, I would go back to 15 mg to 20 mg per day. Even if I did have anxiety on the higher doses, it was "muted" and I got over things quickly and things just "rolled off my back" because it seemed to help me forget the anxious things. Plus it helped my depression so much.

I went ahead and upped it to 10 mg last night because it just felt like it was time to do so. Feeling pretty good today so far. Sleep was an issue last night but since that happened last time I was expecting it. I'm hoping that's a side effect that will go away eventually.

Regarding your post on another thread...have you ever considered talking to your doctor about getting some type of medication, that you won't get addicted to, that you could take only when you are on these social situations? That's what I would do. It would probably make me feel a little sedated, and I wouldn't be as talkative and upbeat as I usually am, but at least I would be relaxed and get though the evening unscathed.

I suppose I could ask but my anxiety isn't tied solely to social situations. I wish it was that simple. Pretty sure the reason that my doctors have stuck with antidepressants is because in addition to panic disorder I have chronic depression. While the anxiety has been an issue for awhile the depression has been more of a concern the last few months. Before starting Lexapro it was to the point where I couldn't concentrate, I was oversleeping, I had virtually no appetite and was having trouble finding joy in anything. My best description of how I felt is the world felt flat.
    The other night I could feel the Lexapro working because for part of the evening I was okay. The people we had dinner with are friends of my boyfriend so most of anxiety ties to the fact that I don't know them that well so obviously its going to be a bit awkward/uncomfortable. I was actually pretty quiet that evening which could have been the Lexapro. I just don't want them to think that I didn't enjoy being there or whatever.

I see. So glad you've seen some improvement in your depression with the Lexapro. It makes a HUGE difference for me. (I know because I got off of it earlier this year and I was crying a lot and on the Lexapro, I don't cry all the time)

I'm going to preface this post with the fact that what is below could be an emetophobic trigger. Figured I would post a warning since I know we have members with that phobia.

Days 18 and 19 and today (20)- Going up on dosage the first two days was pretty uneventful. I felt slightly "drugged" but from previous experience know that sensation will disappear eventually. Yesterday morning felt like I was going to vomit. I was able to distract myself and the feeling went away. Fast forward to this morning. As soon as I woke up nausea but managed to eat something and I am able to keep food down. Not that hungry the last few days but I'm trying to eat a little something here and there so I don't feel worse.

As a tag on to my post from earlier today, I started feeling better as the day went on my unfortunately I'm seeing the same side effects that I saw when my doctor originally prescribed the 10mgs. Last time I was only able to handle 10 mg for two days before the side effects became too much and this time they hit full force on day 3. Going back to the 5 for my own well-being.

What are the side effects that are so bad? (if you don't want to say, that's okay). I'm kind of sorry to read this because you were doing so well, and you said the medication was helping.

Is there anything you can take for the nausea? If you ever decide to go up from 5mg again, (right now you probably don't want to) maybe you could increase more slowly, say to 7.5 and then get used to that, and later to 10 mg since you are so sensitive to the medication.

I found this today: Nausea typically begins within a week of starting an antidepressant. It may go away after a few weeks when your body adjusts to the medication.

Coping strategies

Take your antidepressant with food, unless otherwise directed.
    Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
    Suck on sugarless hard candy.
    Drink plenty of fluids, such as cool water or ginger ale that's lost its carbonation.
    Try an antacid or bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, others).
    Talk to your doctor about a dosage change or a slow-release form of the medication.