Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trying to get out of the hole

I don't know if anyone will actually read this or not, I just need to vent really badly and have no one to vent to. I'm currently in my first depressive episode that I've had in months. I'm experiencing lack of appetite, depressed mood, loss of interest in pretty much everything etc. I seriously feel like there's nobody to reach out to. Nobody in my family knows what is going on and I prefer to keep it that way. My boyfriend has been acting weird on top of everything that I'm already dealing with.

Anyone have any tips on how to cope?
    Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn-Unknown

I feel the same way sometimes, as I get in moods where I say what is life all about? When I get in those moods, I try to do things I enjoy, to
    try to take my mind off my bad thoughts. Do something you enjoy like, going to a movie, shopping, etc. I too am careful who I say things to as
    many people don't understand how I feel or could care less.

Superchick, I know in the past you have had to try different medications or change medications. You said recently that your medications were working for you. (maybe you take Celexa and Abilify?-that's what I seem to recall but you posted that months ago).
    I would say (and my psychiatrist would say) that your medications are definitely not working for you. Antidepressants are designed to pull you out of depression. However, if there is a particular situation that is going on in your life that is causing you depression, that is a different story. I wish you could find someone to talk this over with. That is so helpful. I know you're waiting on your therapist to be available and that will help.

Kirk's suggestions are good. I would add to that force yourself to get exercise. That is crucial. The more exercise you can do the more it will help you. You won't even feel like going, but that alone is therapy in and of itself.

I'm feeling pretty depressed as well. I jus had to get out side in the nice weather and start doing something
    I hope you feel better soon. One tip is to not isolate, find someone or something to make some joy

Quote Originally Posted by superchick22684 View Post
    I don't know if anyone will actually read this or not, I just need to vent really badly and have no one to vent to. I'm currently in my first depressive episode that I've had in months. I'm experiencing lack of appetite, depressed mood, loss of interest in pretty much everything etc. I seriously feel like there's nobody to reach out to. Nobody in my family knows what is going on and I prefer to keep it that way. My boyfriend has been acting weird on top of everything that I'm already dealing with.

Anyone have any tips on how to cope?
    Hey superchick

It's absolutely horrible when you've been "well" and then the anxiety/depression comes back. I actually started a thread recently about how past episodes have sort of traumatised me and when it hits again it brings up feelings from the past, and you feel like "OMG I can't believe this is happening again!" Someone commented that they felt like they were ten times worse in fact.

Venting is really helpful.. Just getting the thoughts and feelings out of your head (where they fester) and even better if other people can reassure you you aren't the only one feeling like that. I know that feeling of there being noone to reach out to and it's honestly one of the worst feelings ever. The other weekend I made the mistake of getting drunk and ended up in a pretty bad state.. I then ended up asking my neighbour to come over (I'd met him briefly a couple of times) and managed to get through it with his help. It turns out he also has problems with alcohol and depression, so we've been helping each other a bit and it's good to know there's someone nearby who I can turn to. I think you'd be surprised how many others are going through the same thing.

So yeah, just being open about how you're feeling can go a long way.

Hang in there..
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Hi Superchick,

I can totally relate to what you're saying. I have less depression and more anxiety and panic. After struggling with it for 12 years I thought that I had it beat completely. I was able to do things I couldn't imagine doing for a full year and it felt great. However, about 2 months ago the symptoms all started coming back. There has been a lot of stressful things going on in my life and I assume those are what sparked my anxiety again. Sometimes we can't really see the things that might trigger us and that's what a good therapist can really help with.

Is there anything that you think could have brought back these feelings? In my situation I think I'm pretty aware of why my symptoms came back. Just knowing it can help but there is always work to get through it. It really sucks but I do believe that it's all about knowing yourself better and getting through these things will make us more at peace in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Superchick, I know in the past you have had to try different medications or change medications. You said recently that your medications were working for you. (maybe you take Celexa and Abilify?-that's what I seem to recall but you posted that months ago).
    I would say (and my psychiatrist would say) that your medications are definitely not working for you. Antidepressants are designed to pull you out of depression. However, if there is a particular situation that is going on in your life that is causing you depression, that is a different story. I wish you could find someone to talk this over with. That is so helpful. I know you're waiting on your therapist to be available and that will help.

Kirk's suggestions are good. I would add to that force yourself to get exercise. That is crucial. The more exercise you can do the more it will help you. You won't even feel like going, but that alone is therapy in and of itself.
    I just got back from seeing my psych and I told him that I've been depressed for the last nine days. He basically looked at me at and asked me why I'm depressed. I honestly have no answer for that. I have a job, a place to live, food to eat, transportation to get from place to place etc. There's nothing really "bad" that's going on with my life. All I know is I woke up last Wednesday feeling incredibly doom and gloom and I'm having trouble getting joy out of anything. I have very little appetite. A few days ago I spent most of my day crying for absolutely no reason. He suggested that journaling might help so I think I might try that to get some of my thoughts down on paper and out of my head.
    You were correct Anne on the medications that I'm on. My psych decided not to change any of my dosages today. I'm a little disappointed but part of me is hoping that using some of the tips you guys have shared with me will be enough to dig me out of the rut I'm in.
    Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn-Unknown

My psych recommended a book to me called The Happiness Trap. It's based on something called "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy" (ACT) which he believes is better than CBT and he's a really good, down-to-earth psychiatrist who I've seen for a long time. So I downloaded it on iBooks and read a couple of chapters and it's already helped me with anxiety (which is more my thing than depression but they are closely linked). I think it could help you with your depression. The first chapter gives you statistics on depression and that alone made me feel better! So if you have iBooks or Kindle or whatever, take a look.

P.S. It's by Dr Russ Harris.
    Last edited by gypsylee; 09-29-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

My therapist has spoken often about ACT. I'm not sure anyone can claim one concept to be better than another (although I don't think much of CBT) ... however for me ... I did find ACT very useful for putting into place what I already knew. The Happiness Trap was also something I liked as well.

May I suggest just getting up and moving around as much as you can. Try not to look at it as exercise if that's that term is not so comfortable. Moving however small or little that may be is very good for promoting clarity; especially when feeling so low.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

When it happens to me, I go out and do something I enjoy doing, I just get out of the house and
    do something. Go to Starbucks, shop, etc. Anything to help me get moving.