Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You need meds

Thank you Columbia. Your description is vivid and rich for me. And I identify with a number of your observations and experiences. I am beyond sixty now, and am finding interpersonal communication becoming more and more difficult, not that it's been at all easy up 'til now. Conversation is generally painful and confusing, as if other people who understand conversation have read the manual and know how to proceed. I do not. So it's usually Q and A until they get fed up. And then there's little, if anything, to talk about. Just a couple of weeks ago I had a psychiatrist tell me that, in her opinion, I communicate very well. I have learned to pass, over the years. Making desperate small talk when trapped, until the inevitable inappropriate utterance plops out and I get the look. As in, suddenly, are we involved in the same conversation at all? And the answer is no, of course. I mistrust language, or perhaps I distrust language. I can't decide. In any event, I certainly appreciated your account of therapy. "Just telling them what I thought they wanted to hear to make myself seem stable." I find that in therapeutic contexts, I am unable to express my misery articulately because language constrains and I can't cry.

What I am rather precipitously discovering at this relatively late state in life is that I am excited at the prospect of coming face-to-face with my comprehensive anxiety and its roots. I know I'm a whole person, even if I'm not a round peg, if you know what I mean. Thank you for your words. They have created activity for me!

I just lost my mom the other day. She died after being sick for about 10 years. Anxiety and now depression? This hurts bad. I guess time will have to run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful View Post
    You need meds
    Atypical response. I found it useful to be very careful when taking advice from others who would tell me what it is that I need.

Silver Lining - Srry for your Loss. ... My Dad died recently and lost my brother a few years before that. Just let time do as it does as the more we turn to it the slower it ticks. Do your best to ride with what you must.

I am glad you found this forum and appreciate the way you have been helping others. You've been a big help.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

This is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by silver lining View Post
    I just lost my mom the other day. She died after being sick for about 10 years. Anxiety and now depression? This hurts bad. I guess time will have to run its course.
    Sorry to hear about your mom. Don't worry it is natural, don't take it on mind. It will going to happen with all one.

Me too! It's to the point that I don't want to do anything related to other people. Since I always worry that I may do something wrong, or the events will turn bad and when I decided to let it be, I start feeling guilty. The thoughts and feelings keep going on and on, especially at sleep time. My head always hurts and feel very heavy! I used to take Xanax as my doctor prescribed for me, it calmed my mind almost instantly but I stopped a long time ago, for fear of after-effects. I've been reading self-help books to change my thoughts. It worked until a lot of unlucky things happened recently and all the anxiety and depression symptoms hit me again.

Im the same way I rather be alone Im more comfortable that way. People can be really mean and judgemental now a days I rather not put myself through more anxiety. People just dont understand why you rather be alone though

Im sorry to hear about your mom. I will pray for you. Hope things get better for you

Quote Originally Posted by Marrin View Post
    I don't know if people can actually relate to this, but I often go through life with a lot of anxiety. For example talking to other people which I don't know very well or missing deadlines in my job. Which puts so much pressure on me that in the end I decide it's not worth trying anymore, because I will probably fail anyway. I then feel very bad, because I didn't do anything. I try to supress this feeling by convincing myself that this is not a big deal or in general try to distract myself. But in the evening when going to sleep I feel so bad about myself, because I worry so much and don't care at the same time. I don't know if this makes sense to you.
    Hi, I often feel the same