Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good grief. I've actually PMed the OP!

But you know I'm very fond of you both

Also, Cookie Monster is really cool.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

This is very insightful, thank you. However, I'm less concerned with examining my past and asking "why?" when thinking about anxiety. My past is my past, and I've learned from many that anxiety is often hereditary. My father has it and my sister has it. Zbut I don't think the way I was raised really had some sort of negative influence on my thoughts. My parents are great and they taught me to follow my dreams while keeping rationality and expecting the worst (yet hoping for the best). As I said, less concerned about why I am the way I am and more about how I can adjust myself to live my life through my eyes, whatever way I am.

Unfortunately, my college counseling services are hard to get into because there are so few doctors and so many students. I have an evaluation with them in two weeks but I'm seeing a meditation dude on Saturday, one whom my physician recommended I go to and learn to control my thoughts/view.

In terms of friends, mine are great and they know what's going on with me and don't address it too much but are still sympathetic about it. My boyfriend is also very supportive. He doesn't act like he knows better or pretends to be a doctor--he just listens and calms and keeps my head out of the clouds. Normally I wouldn't want to be in a relationship while going through this, but I learned a long time ago not to let go of something good when you have it.

I have a great book on mindfulness I can send you. It's e-format, so you only need to download it. Depends if you're in a reading mood? (This goes to anybody looking to learn mindfulness. Just shoot me a quick PM.)

As for the rest, I'll leave that to IS.
    Last edited by jessed03; 04-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks Jess

Quote Originally Posted by ningersnap View Post

My parents are great and they taught me to follow my dreams while keeping rationality and expecting the worst (yet hoping for the best).
    Expectations win over hope.

We did not suggest your parents were less than great. Their beliefs however may not work for you. As in the one from the quote. 'Rationality' does not mix well with imagination, which is a necessary ingredient for dream fulfillment.

Both rationality and expecting the worst won't create the best. The expectations are 'real' founded in a belief, whereas hope is merely a pipe dream.

Now these are dads beliefs, which do mix well with anxiety.

"As I said, less concerned about why I am the way I am and more about how I can adjust myself to live my life through my eyes"

If you want to change your life, you must examine what you see through your eyes, against what you desire. If there are conflicts, realize it may not be your eyes your looking through.

Your eyes see what you have been conditioned to see. That becomes your expectation.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 04-23-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

What you're saying makes sense, but I have not been "conditioned" by my parents. Most of what I believe and think about the world doesn't have much of an association with whatever they think, I was just mentioning that they didn't give me a particularly negative not particularly positive upbringing. Being rational is important when thinking about anxiety. If I weren't at least some sense of rationality, I would in fact think horrible, death-like thoughts during each panic attack. You're insight is appreciated but I didn't come here to receive a psychoanalysis or some sort of self formulated explanation for panic disorder. There is no argument about it. I don't think I will be posting here much anymore....I'm a little disappointed in the type of replies I've been seeing.

What you're saying makes sense, but I have not been "conditioned" by my parents. Most of what I believe and think about the world doesn't have much of an association with whatever they think, I was just mentioning that they didn't give me a particularly negative not particularly positive upbringing. Being rational is important when thinking about anxiety. If I weren't at least some sense of rationality, I would in fact think horrible, death-like thoughts during each panic attack. You're insight is appreciated but I didn't come here to receive a psychoanalysis or some sort of self formulated explanation for panic disorder. There is no argument about it. I don't think I will be posting here much anymore....I'm a little disappointed in the type of replies I've been seeing.
    Hey I sent you a private message about the replies. Sorry your experience here has been disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    Hey I sent you a private message about the replies. Sorry your experience here has been disappointing
    Thank you, I saw it but can't respond because I haven't posted enough. You're very kind

Thank you, I saw it but can't respond because I haven't posted enough. You're very kind
    Oh I thought you could respond if someone messaged you first. Anyway I hate seeing people put off the forum. There are some cool people here

Just make a few random posts to get past the threshold -- if you want to. It is true that this forum has some people who offer unhelpful responses, including pretending to know more about you than they possibly could or jumping to unwarranted conclusions. I guess that is true on most anonymous forums. But there are also people here such as Gypsylee, who have insight and empathy and are also practical and live in the real world. So there is value here. You do have to separate the wheat from the chaff, to some extent. But if you stock around a while, you may find that it is worthwhile.

Last edited by Kuma; 04-25-2015 at 07:40 AM.

This forum is really social too, which I prefer. People here are more like friends to me than forumites. I know the other anxiety forums moderate posts and can sometimes have so many threads that you don't really get to enjoy that personal touch.

What I'm saying is, stick around. Even if it's for the same reason we all do... for Gypsy.