Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Is medication the right route to take...

I've seen a therapist for a few years, and he put me on medication for the first time about 2 and half months ago. I have general anxiety and obsessive thoughts. He prescribed me prozac, and I did like the feeling. It's not so much that I didn't worry, but I didn't feel the need to worry. It gave me dry mouth, so I stopped for a few days and he let me try zoloft. Zoloft sent me right to sleep, so I stopped taking it and got back on Prozac, but i haven't really noticed a difference this second time around on prozac. Is it worth it? What if side effects soon show up...that's a big fear of mine..

So is it worth it? Should I just stick to a tight exercise and meditation routine.

Well as long as you were on it that long I'd at least give it long and fair trial. It's what I take. Very cheap too . Less worry means less anxiety. So if after say 6 months you decide it doesn't help enough, drop it. Prozac is easy to stop because of it's long half life. Alankay

For medicine along with CBT is the right way and here's an example why. Thursday night my husband and I drove to NYC. We stayed over night in a very tiny hotel room. Friday morning we stood in line with our tickets to see anderson live being taped. They didn't let us in at 10:30 as we thought but more like 11. We finally got into the studio and I was in awe of it. We were seated against the wall furthest from the aisle!!!! The taping lasted 1hour. How did I do???? I loved it!!!!!! I had the best time. Yes I had some anxiety but I was doing something so very special.

6 months ago I could have never done that. My life is so much better. I started meds in early nov. and therapy in dec.

Hope this helps!

I personally prefer to stay away from using drugs. I stick to constant exercise, swimming, biking, yoga, and meditation. I consume myself so much in these activities, that I don't really have time to feel any anxiety. My mind stays busy and focused throughout the entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by abartlett331 View Post
    I personally prefer to stay away from using drugs. I stick to constant exercise, swimming, biking, yoga, and meditation. I consume myself so much in these activities, that I don't really have time to feel any anxiety. My mind stays busy and focused throughout the entire day.
    If that is the case, I am curious why you are a member of an anxiety forum.

Quote Originally Posted by StarDust12 View Post
    If that is the case, I am curious why you are a member of an anxiety forum.
    What?? I'm on this forum to exchange information and tips with other people who suffer from anxiety.. Just because I know how to deal with my issues, doesn't mean that I don't suffer from anxiety. I'm just sharing my own personal thoughts and ideas on the matter. Isn't that why we are all here? Your question makes no sense.

Each will have a different path and results no matter what they try. You have to find that works best for you. Each person has their own history, physiology, responses to any therapy, etc, so that brings in many different things to try. Meds , natural supplements and non meds, CBT, etc, etc. Nothing works for all. Understand that please. Alankay

Quote Originally Posted by abartlett331 View Post
    I replied to your words above where you stated that you don't really have time to feel ANY anxiety. That you stay busy and focused throughout your ENTIRE day.

Can you understand my question NOW? After all you presented yourself as anxiety free. And i was merely asking you given this why you find a need to be involved with an anxiety forum.

Quote Originally Posted by StarDust12 View Post
    I replied to your words above where you stated that you don't really have time to feel ANY anxiety. That you stay busy and focused throughout your ENTIRE day.

Can you understand my question NOW? After all you presented yourself as anxiety free. And i was merely asking you given this why you find a need to be involved with an anxiety forum.
    I figured you would have understood that the reason for me being anxiety free is because of the things I do to manage it. The only reason I exercise and stay busy in the first place is to deal with my anxiety. Otherwise I would have never posted that.. Obviously I suffer from anxiety if I'm stating that I engage in those specific activities to help treat it.. I was just hoping that others might benefit from my experiences as well. I would think that most people would be able to connect the dots. That's why your question made no sense to me.. Forums are both for giving and receiving advice. Being that I know how to deal with my anxiety, I was just sharing some tips in hopes that others might benefit from them as well.. That's it..