Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Gabapentin / Neurontin for anxiety ?

I was prescribed gabapentin ( generic of neurontin ) for my severe anxiety. It is peculiar in that it was actually first used as an anti-convulsant for people with seizure disorders.

My experience with it is somewhat mixed in that it sometimes works to kill anxiety and other times it does NOTHING. Also it has a VERY short half-life, so that you must take multiple doses throughout the day and it has a very LOW
    bio-availability which means that the human body absorbs only a small portion of what it actually takes in.

Any one else out there using this drug ?

i have never used gabapentin, but you might want to look into Lyrica (pregabalin). it is the follow-on molecule to neurontin, and was actually studied for many many things like GAD as well as pain. of course it's brand new, so it's not generic

Yes, I had read about pregabalin on the internet and that it supposedly had better absorption ( ie "bio-availability" ) than gabapentin and actually got more into your bloodstream. Thanks for your reply.