Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Hi everyone

Red face Hi everyone

As I am new to this site, I just wanted to make an introduction and tell my story.

When I was younger, my family went on a trip to New York City around the 4th of July. Since they have a big display of fireworks, we all decided to walk down and watch them. Before that day I didn't have any issues with anxiety or panic at all, but then I had my first experience. The crowds were massive and before I knew it I felt as of I were going to pass out or have a heart attack. I was stuck in a crowd of thousands of people for around an hour, but after that day I never really had an issue with it for a while.

A couple months later, I would sporadically have panic attacks, and I had no idea why. They were persistant enough to be horrible, but within the last 4 months they have become unbearable. I was recently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, and panic disorder, but I'm also claustrophobic and slightly emetophobic.

I'm not really asking for advice or help, but I really just want to know if there are people in these forums who could relate to me. Any response would be appreciated, thanks for reading

~Em

Hi, not sure if this works or not havent figured out how to start or reply to a thread. First panic attack I had was when I was 15 and my grandpa died. After that I was very seldom until I was about 22. Social places get me mostly, bars, parties, really anything out if my comfort zone. I take Paxil 20mg daily, but I'm trying to ween down to 10. I take Xanax as needed. It's hard for me to out places with my friends. Sportin events and big crowds are rough on me and I'm a huge sports fan so it stinks.

This week I'm going on vacation withy girlfriend. We are going to a small cabin in the middle of no where and I'm freaking out. She is very good about my anxiety and is understanding. I do better when I go places alone, I can meet up with people but having my own exit plan helps and in this trip I am going to be with her. I know I should be looking forward to this and it should be fun and relaxing but I can't help feeling anxious. I'm afraid of having panic attacks while I'm there. That's all I'm afraid of but since you have had them you know they are horrible.

When I get them my neck gets warm and tingly then I just get panicked, not shaky but I feel like I'm going to die. I know there is nothing wrong but I can't help it. My best strategies so far are to try and occupy my brain with something else, reading helps. I try not to take the Xanax but I'd I have a panic attack I take some and just fall asleep. When I wake up its over, I know there have to be better ways but once a panic actually hits its hard for me to stop.

Reading things like these forums helps. I still go places but its less than before and I have a good job friends family and girlfriend. I know this Sounds horrible but it helps to know there are people out there like me and even worse off than me. It helps me say, see it could be worse.

Anyone have any hints on how to avoid these feelings of anxiety? I know it's all in my head so I try and think of other things, anyone have things they think of that help?