Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've heard of a few people who question our existence in anxiety. I also have and i think thats where the depersonalisation/derealisation comes from. Try not to worry. I know its easier said than done unfortunately. And for alot of people it is constant, unless you are able to take your mind off it.
    Last edited by EMZ; 06-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Does any of you feel a weird memory sensation, as in when you used to think of exciting things you could rmember and imagine it clearly but now it's like there's a gap and like your emotions or detached from you?

Dear jesus yes. I don't have DP/DR anymore, only when I have panic attacks, but I have all of those same thoughts as you. Well, the DP/DR certainly triggered the thoughts. I originally had a fear of going schizo (which I still do) because I was afraid of losing touch with reality. Now I don't even know what is real and what isn't. Like everything is made up in my head. I even wonder if I exist.
    There are so many arguments against solipsism that it is hard to still believe. I actually don't know many of the arguments, but I know they are there, and I've used my own reasoning to know that it isn't a refutable philosophy.I'm gonna try to talk to my psychiatrist about this soon, and this time I want to try some CBT. Because I am not going to live my life like this. To me, it seems like the worst anxiety to have. It's an ultimate. It's anxiety over if we are or aren't. How is that going to progress? What is the next step in this anxiety? I refuse to find out. Because I know we're real. I'm real. There is too much in the world to fathom and know, there is no way it's an illusion.
    It's the anxiety. Because I know you and me and every other person in the world has wondered "am I real? Is everything just a dream?" The difference between us and them is that there is an obsession to this question. The anxiety and its symptoms have this control over the thought and don't let our brain let it go, anxiety makes that thought a reality.

Ha, reality.

CBT is excellent, for anyone on this thread who hasn't explored it, I recommend it highly. All of the current CBT uses the technique of rewiring your brain - and it's not some new-age psychobabble - it's real. Neuroscience has proved it's possible by studying the brain activity of Buddhist meditators. I can recommend The Heal Your Anxiety Workbook by John Arden. I don't know if it's the best because I haven't read a lot of CBT books, but it's very good.

Please please read the book - at last a life by Paul David or google his website. Or go to www.panicend.com it really has helped me. it explains why we feel these sensations and it really helps you start to overcome these feelings. One thing I would tell you is to go towards your feelings. As crazy as it sounds, fighting it makes everything worse. You have to feel and embrace your feelings, and soon it will take the fear out of the picture which is the main cause of everything.

It's definitely true that you shouldn't fight it as it makes it worse. It's easier said than done though, as if we have a problem we are wired to try and work it out. I'm working through depersonalisation at the moment, just taking things as they come and not dwelling on them.

hey Steven , thought this mite help you as i can tell you you are not alone, in the slightest.
    well i have lived with dp/dr depression and severe anxiety for about 20years+ unknown , only got diagnosed a year ago, have broken the cycle 3 times, now and maybe have lived a normal life of total life about 4, months, but without the symptoms it becomes a little to overwhelming and i spiral down again,

i know no one who does not suffer dp/dr really knows what it's like to go through a day with anxiety and all the rest. My friend. For me im frozen pretty much 24/7 get's to the point where i can't make any decisions or begin to actually build a life from this point. disconnected from reality i know truly what this is how do i know...

well i thought it was lonely all these years that was the problem so i joined a pickup course for talking meeting actracting women, and well during the first night i actually broke the anxiety with massive force- due to having a exceptional motivating coach and being pushed through fears and intense forced focus i changed my bio chemistry

now the thing is i have superior confidence without anxiety actually too much, from noticing the lights to the smell of the atmosphere noticing textures peoples smiles hair and being in the moment and really being in touch with your surroundings. and i can tell you it is a different world with the cloud of anxiety depression dp dr

for me it's one of the most crippling side affect , being lost with reality yes i can totally understand, almost seems like every action every move is forced and you have to place every word in your head before it comes out, seems like you have to act your way through life, and then because you have emotional numbness people around you think your ok , but it's really because you don't have the ability to feel ,

for me i can't concentrate or focuss at all sadly , so thought i would let you know im riding shotgun with you
    for my story it's filled with alot of sorrow for thinking all these year's it was normal to live with depression and anxiety that's because i had dp/dr and i could not focuss enough to actually think theres a problem , i just kept thinking the day will come, it's been apart of me id say since age around 5 , and only realized last year,