Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Oxytocin

Oxytocin

hey all, my name is yaniv.
    i have a social phobia .
    i tried allot of drugs like ssri, maoi, snri, tca.
    and its not been so helpful.
    now my doc gave me Syntocinon nasal sprays.
    he told me to take 10 iu in a time and the bottle gut only 50 iu.
    its means that's the bottle have 5 dose and its cost a lot of money here.

i need help...

u said that "The effects by sprayed lasts all but three minutes" ?
    what ?! i been told that its taking 45 min to take affect and the affects stays in the body about 10 hours.
    what is the true ????

i steel dont know if its helping me. but i am checking for other options like take pictocin (Oxytocin Injection) by injection . is it giving the same benefits like the Syntocinon sprayed directly into the nasal cavity ??

or maybe to take the Pictocin (Oxytocin Injection) and sprayed it like the Syntocinon. do i will get the same affects ass the Syntocinon sprayed ??

please help me
    yaniv

This is hard to say. As far as I know, the use of oxytocin as a treatment for social anxiety is rather experimental to begin with - it's hardly mainstram. But oxytocin is said to improve empathy, trust, and social bonding while decreasing anxiety. However, from what I have heard, the problem with taking it lies in the fact that it is actually a protein. This means that (1) it is not active when taken orally (proteins are broken down in the digestive system), and (2) it has some trouble crossing the blood-brain barrier. Furthermore, since it is a naturally occurring protein neurotransmitter, it is rapidly broken down in the body. These last two reasons are the reasons why its effect is not long. As for injecting it, I'm not sure how it would compare with taking it nasally. In theory, you could get a MUCH bigger dosage if it is injected. But this means it must be injected when needed.