Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smoking and Anxiety...

So...I've noticed that when I smoke a cigarette my anxiety (not a full blown panic attack) seems to increase. I've been smoking for about 9 years now so the horrible habit is nothing new. I am wondering if it is really connected or if it's just me searching for a reason I have GAD. I've looked around online a little and did notice there were some people who felt better with their anxiety levels after quitting. Anyone have any input for this?

Hiya i used to smoke and quit about a year ago im alot more anxious now but i don't no if they are related as ive never really thought about it.

No and my psychiatrist actually told me that smoking calms you down so he reccommended for me to keep on smoking.

Haha my doctor actually told me the opposite- maybe it depends on the person? I know smoking calms some people, for me it makes me more jittery which makes my anxiety worse.

This one can DEFINITELY go different ways for different people. So it's entirely possible that your smoking is increasing your anxiety levels, especially if you notice that your anxiety increases consistently after smoking. You could certainly try quitting to see whether this improves things. Although it may not actually make your anxiety go away completely, it might improve things (not to mention your physical health, where the effects of smoking are MUCH more clear-cut). Just keep in mind that, even if quitting improves your anxiety in the long run, quitting smoking is probably going to make your anxiety levels increase temporarily during the withdrawal period. However, this can be minimized if you taper rather than go cold turkey. Tapering is typically better if you smoke very heavily and/or have anxiety disorder.

weird isnt it, i also smoke (probably even more since i have had GAD) and docs always told me that smoking increases anxiety, bit i do notice that when i do manage to get out to places that scare me, i can have a cigarette and it definitely helps calm me down to a point where can keep going out etc, and i guess it laso distracts me from panic attacks as i am doing something.
    My Daily Diaries of coping with GAD and PD: helpmetogetridofanxiety.wordpress.com

I too have been smoking for many years and its the same for me, im scared to have a cigarette when i go out somewhere because it seems to make my anxiety worse. I'd rather have a nic fit than a panic attack,you would think this would be enough to make me quit but i have tried that and failed so now ive bought myself the patch and will try again. Not sure if this will make my overall anxiety issues better but at least stopping smoking will be a health benefit regardless.

I quit smoking a few months ago and I can tell you from my experience that smoking cigarettes definitely contributed to my anxiety. I mean think about it. It contains nicotine, a stimulant, it decreases lung capacity temporarily, and it takes oxygyen out of the blood.

What happens when you feel panicked? Over stimulation, shortness of breath.... coincidence? Yeah definitely. But smoking certainly doesn't help the problem. At least from what I've seen.

smoking is a stimulant. stimulates cause anxiety. but for someone who has been smoking for many years, i think the stress of quitting would make anxiety much worse then if you continue to smoke. after so many years your body is use to the stimulation from smoking so its like you build a tolernace to the stimulation it causes

I have started the quitting process. I was afraid that if I quit cold turkey it would bring on more stress. I don't know exactly how much I smoke in a day, but I do know it was close to, if not, a pack a day. Today I have only had 5 cigarettes and I'm feeling pretty good about it. A couple of times when I smoked I did feel some anxiety, like I couldn't breathe right even though I know I was. It could just be me thinking too much about it too. Either way even if it doesn't decrease my anxiety I know that it's healthier for me. I'm going to give this a whirl