Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Xanax and how it actually works on you

Hello, so.

I have been through anxiety and over analazing issues.
    I tend to over think things especially with some girl Im in love with. Like, it at seems good at first but then I start to over think about every single detail and I start to believe that it is going nowhere and that shes not into me, at all. Not going deeper into it, you get it.
    It happens to a lot of other life situations as well sending me through a really low self-confident state. Weed does "help" bringing it up, so Im stopping for now.

So I have heard of Xanax.
    I have been thinking about its actualy effects on you.
    Does it simply cut the pointless thoughts that lead to wrong conclusions sending you through a more realistic view?
    Or does it simply makes your brain ignore relevant thoughts in order to keep you "safe" and self confident when in fact the drug is only sending you through a naive thinking and a "dumb but good" way of understanding everything? Making you feel good when in fact, you shouldnt be.

This thread is not about the drug side effects, addicive power, etc etc.
    I have read a lot about the drug itself, I know about its downside effects, usage with medic prescription and so on.
    Focus your responses on what I have actually asked.

Thank you in advance, people.

Quote Originally Posted by forwells View Post
    These drugs work the same way i guess alcohol does. They dope you up . Yes they will probliy stop some thoughts while you are on them but what happens when you are off them .
    Xanax (and all benzos) actually DOES work in the same way as alcohol. So much so that it is often given to severe alcoholics withdrawing from alcohol in order to suppress withdrawal symptoms.

I was on xanax for about 8 months. I purposely took a very low dose as I was worried about become addicted to it. Long story short it did take the edge off my anxiety but did absolutely nothing to address the anxiety and the thought processes that accompanied it. A few visits to a psychologist did far more good than taking it.