Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Massage?

Massage?

What are your experiences with anxiety/stress relieving massages? Have they helped you and what kind of massages would you recommend?

On the other hand, probably the best you can hope for with massage is temporary relief from anxiety symptoms. It's not going to cure you of anxiety disorder or help you to deal with self-defeating thoughts.

While it's true it will bring temporary relief and not get to the root cause, I think massage can help in the long run. I am going to school to be a massage therapist and I'm getting massages in class. Massage is sort of like meditation, it gives you a chance to be quiet with yourself. And like practicing meditation the more massage you get the more chance of learning how to get to those quiet places. That can be just what some of us need for dealing with anxiety. There is no one right way that works for everyone when dealing with anxiety disorders. For a lot of people it has to be a mixture of treatments; therapy, medications, meditation, and using a tool like massage can be part of that treatment if it works for someone.