Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Would you tell your teachers that you have anxiety?

I don't know. Sometimes it's not just teachers, it effects with friends as well. They see me talk extremely fast. What scares me if any of them ask "are you nervous?" Especially when I'm in class, like I have trouble dealing with numbers or speaking or something, like these kind of things give me a near panic attack. What do I tell my teacher? Shall I warn them or just suck it up. I have been told, "do not say you're sick" by some friends... so that hurts.. . .. well, now it gets obvious, i suffer saying out my feelings. thanks mates! love ya, but life is good. do you tell people you have anxiety? I mean... what? how? I don't get it?

Hi Flora,

Yes I would definitely tell your parents and your teachers about your anxiety. There is actually a specific condition called "math anxiety". It's well known, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Teachers are more informed and educated these days. They should be sympathetic. You may also qualify for extra time on exams.

I wouldn't tell your friends though. I am a lot older than you. I told my friends, who are in their 30's and 40's. They either a) Won't believe you. b) Won't care or c) Make fun of you behind your back. Unfortunately, it's true. Save it for adults and professionals.

I would tell your parents and teachers. I myself can't tell my clients about my health anxiety as it is too risky and I may lose them as
    clients as many people don't understand and they may also think it may impact my ability as their CPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Teafrenzy View Post
    Hi Flora,

Yes I would definitely tell your parents and your teachers about your anxiety. There is actually a specific condition called "math anxiety". It's well known, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Teachers are more informed and educated these days. They should be sympathetic. You may also qualify for extra time on exams.

I wouldn't tell your friends though. I am a lot older than you. I told my friends, who are in their 30's and 40's. They either a) Won't believe you. b) Won't care or c) Make fun of you behind your back. Unfortunately, it's true. Save it for adults and professionals.
    haha math anxiety yes. I bought a book called "pre-algebra demystified" a book that helps overcome anxiety just to prepare for my SATS and guess what, I ain't giving up on SATS because I've taken it third time and I'm planning to take again. Something with me that hate numbers but whatever it takes to get into that USC dream school of mine, then so be it. then for French class, because of the SATS trauma, I am still struggling with numbers, it's like I'm dyslexic. It's so annoying. I've been doing SATS and maths for many years and still can't pass. I'm just blessed I'm gifted with the arts though. If USC is a fail school, I'm going to the EU. It's just complaining that I have anxiety doesn't bring me benefits but I've had teachers that gave up on me. This is why I have always been locking my feelings up. Now, I'm like, because of French numbers, I feel like I wanna say ... I'm struggling with my studies... I've had teachers that gave up on me, I've had my parents that doesn't believe I can make to the school I wanted to... How do I deal with this. (I know I'm searching for help because I haven't been giving up) I have been doing private tuition after I've finished with my diploma.
    Last edited by FloraRistic123; 03-04-2017 at 11:42 PM.