Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

anxiety when standing/walking?

For the past month and a half my anxiety has been pretty bad.. due to some issues that I'm really trying to work on. Lately, the anxiety seems to be getting better but gets worse when I stand up or walk long distances. For example, I was just dying easter eggs (yes, I'm 18 and I still dye Easter eggs lol) and it probably took about an hour. At first I was okay but within the last 15-20 minutes I started to feel very tired, out of breath, nervous stomach, and just started to feel anxious. I sat down and within 5 minutes I felt completely fine. My anxiety has mostly been social anxiety.. for as long as I can remember. But within the past few months the social anxiety has gotten better and this general anxiety has kind of come out of no where. Prior to this the only time I would feel this anxious was before a doctor or dentist appointment. For the past several years when I would have some kind of appointment I would feel very anxious beforehand and was okay if I was sitting, but when I stood up I instantly felt like I was out of breath, had NO energy, and was very anxious in my stomach. This feels like that. But I wasn't anxious to begin with so it doesn't really make sense. I'm starting to worry that this could be something else..

Also, I'm not currently in therapy or on any medications. I would like to try therapy, but I'm scared to talk to my parents about this because I know that my mom (and possibly the doctor) will try to get me to take medication. Which I'm not totally against, but I would prefer not to take it if I can avoid it. Though I am starting to worry that this is not anxiety. I've been eating a lot less lately because I've been kind of stressed and just busy. Do you think this could be caused by under eating? Any help would be appreciated..
    Last edited by Avia Juliet; 03-26-2016 at 08:23 PM.

First of all, your not alone. I can't walk in a grocery store with out leaning on the buggy. I can no longer feel comfortable sitting in the kitchen on my stool. I lean over the counter for hours at a time. It's rough on the elbows and the shoulder and arm pain is keeping me a wake a night. Taking a shower is very hard, with nothing to hold onto. My point is, there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind these occurrences, and you can go crazy tiring to make sense of them. Everybody is different in respects to how they respond to anxiety.

Hope this helps a bit

You're fine. Try not to pursue the way of medicines and just try to let it go with some physical activities or meditative practices.
    Mind Globe - Personal Development and Mental Health blog and resource
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sounds like good advice mindgolbe. On the rare occasion I take a Valium prior to a event like going to my sister's for Easter dinner and it seem to help, but I end up paying for it with elevated anxiety for 2 or 3 days after...

This is tough because while though Valium is a muscle relaxer and can do wonders by way of indirectly clearing the onset of a panic attack, it is going to make you feel weak. I would recommend more light physical exercise and see if that helps.

I hope you have a great week and that you are able to overcome any anxiety-related issues.

Hi everyone, it is very good to read you all, and I kind of "understand" what is happening to myself just by reading you all.

thank you

lie down......................
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore