Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unsure as to what my doctor meant?

Hi,

I am a twenty year old girl currently attended college away from my city of residence. Back on Christmas break, my doctor back home wrote me a one month prescription for anti-anxiety medication, as I suffer from severe anxiety, telling me that I needed to get a doctor in the state I attend college (Massachusetts). He then proceeded to tell me that if I run out of the medication, that I should go to an urgent care clinic to receive a refill. Well, I am now on my last 3 pills of my anti-anxiety medication which should have been a month supply but I stretched it out to a two month supply by only taking one instead of two a day (which wasn't helpful during high anxiety days). Now I am getting more anxiety attacks than usual scared about thinking of how I go to an urgent care clinic looking for medication I genuinely need without looking like I am a pill popper which is the last thing I would ever do as I have seen drug addiction in family members before and it scares me a lot.

One helpful piece of info, I have an appointment with a doctor on March 16th up here where my college is and I plan on definitely bringing up my anxiety issues and give the info to my therapist I saw before I stopped going as therapy (woman who diagnosed me) did not help me. It only wasted an hour a week for 8 weeks on solely talking about my week not my actual issues in my past and present that bother me. Also, I scheduled the appointment for my new doctor as soon as I arrived back in Massachusetts. The problem as to why I haven't gotten in sooner, is most doctors around here have wait times of at least 4 weeks or longer, due to high population density.

If I wait it out to March 16th, I only have 5 more anti-anxiety pills and fooling around with which days I could take them or not makes me have extreme panic attacks worse than normal. With pain in chest, shaking, heat flashes, and weakness before normal panic attack symptoms. Plus, I don't know how to bring up my anxiety problems and needing medication to help me not have attacks to a new doctor. It causes me anxiety attacks thinking of it, I don't want to seem like a pill popper and get denied medication and have to suffer worse attacks which bring out my depression even more.

You need medication and you need it now. The only person who thinks you're a pill popper is you

Quote Originally Posted by patriotsgal View Post
    Hi,

I am a twenty year old girl currently attended college away from my city of residence. Back on Christmas break, my doctor back home wrote me a one month prescription for anti-anxiety medication, as I suffer from severe anxiety, telling me that I needed to get a doctor in the state I attend college (Massachusetts). He then proceeded to tell me that if I run out of the medication, that I should go to an urgent care clinic to receive a refill. Well, I am now on my last 3 pills of my anti-anxiety medication which should have been a month supply but I stretched it out to a two month supply by only taking one instead of two a day (which wasn't helpful during high anxiety days). Now I am getting more anxiety attacks than usual scared about thinking of how I go to an urgent care clinic looking for medication I genuinely need without looking like I am a pill popper which is the last thing I would ever do as I have seen drug addiction in family members before and it scares me a lot.

One helpful piece of info, I have an appointment with a doctor on March 16th up here where my college is and I plan on definitely bringing up my anxiety issues and give the info to my therapist I saw before I stopped going as therapy (woman who diagnosed me) did not help me. It only wasted an hour a week for 8 weeks on solely talking about my week not my actual issues in my past and present that bother me. Also, I scheduled the appointment for my new doctor as soon as I arrived back in Massachusetts. The problem as to why I haven't gotten in sooner, is most doctors around here have wait times of at least 4 weeks or longer, due to high population density.

If I wait it out to March 16th, I only have 5 more anti-anxiety pills and fooling around with which days I could take them or not makes me have extreme panic attacks worse than normal. With pain in chest, shaking, heat flashes, and weakness before normal panic attack symptoms. Plus, I don't know how to bring up my anxiety problems and needing medication to help me not have attacks to a new doctor. It causes me anxiety attacks thinking of it, I don't want to seem like a pill popper and get denied medication and have to suffer worse attacks which bring out my depression even more.
    I have been in your boat, I had fired a DR because of never ordering test we had discussed or for whatever reason not renewing prescriptions in a timely manor when needed..example not renewing a lexapro prescription until 2 weeks after prescription had ran out. I was going through some major withdrawal symptoms...barely functional. It took me about 6 months to get a new Dr...in the mean time I used an Urgent Care center for medical needs. They were very easy to deal with and I to felt like I was going to look like a pill popper, but they made me feel comfortable until I located a new GP. I found a new GP and had my records transferred to him...there was no issue with the meds I was taking...DRs see a lot...so don't worry. Best wishes. Good luck.