Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Do periods affect anxiety?

Sorry, this is a little weird, but after all it's only natural.

I started my period today, which probably explains why I've felt really sad lately for no reason. But I had another attack today, and I had one yesterday and a bad one Saturday, which has been "out of the normal" but who's to say it's not I guess.

Does anyone else's anxiety increase when you are on your period? Is it "normal"? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

~Thanks~

Absolutely. Not so much once I get it but the week before I definitely get more irritable, emotional and generally feel spaced out. It's because your hormones (Eostrogen?) drop substantially to tell the body to get rid of the uterus lining. So it's not some mysterious thing
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

My anxiety and depression are majorly impacted by my cycle. In terms of anxiety, I can usually go several weeks without an attack (I'm on meds) but before and during my period my anxiety spikes and its not unusual for me to have a panic attack or two. I also find that mood wise my depression kicks up before I start and usually will continue until its over.
    I've talked to my doctor about it before and he stated that it has to do with the fluctuation in hormones. The only thing he came up with to help with that is prescribing birth control to lessen the amount of hormone fluctuation.

Mid cycle and just before my period starts have been very anxious times for me as of late. I wasn't always like that, usually it was more moodiness or sadness right before.

Absolutely. Whenever my girlfriend has hers, I fear for my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jessed03 View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/ZmDEc.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jessed03 View Post
    LOL. Since when have you had a gf?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

poor Jesse
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore