Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Question Enclosed spaces panic, anxiety

Hi All,

This is my first post here, and online RE: anxiety. I've had awareness of my anxiety for about 4.5 years, and I was wanting some advice.

I have panic attacks or elevated anxiety when I am in situations I can't escape from. It's currently managed and quite low, thanks to my relaxed lifestyle and escitalopram (15mg).

The reason I post is because I really would like to be free or at least doing really well with regards to my anxiety. I post specifically to get some advice regarding my fear of being trapped in public transit, airplanes, etc.

I lived in Asia for a bit a couple years ago, and the fear of trains and being stuck underground in a crowded train was a daily terror. I would avoid crowded trains and travel at easier times, even if it meant showing up like 2 hours early for work. I also had anxiety on buses, but less so because I wasn't underground or on tracks.

I recently also travelled to Mexico and had panic on the flight there and back due to this phobia about not being able to escape. I attempted to treat it with Lorazepam. I took 2x0.5mg with 7 hours or so in-between the doses on the way to Mexico. I took 2.5mg over about 12 hours on the way back. It didn't help as much as I would have liked. I had a similar bad flight experience on my way back from Asia, where I took 2.5mg of Lorazepam as well.

I would love to be able to travel without fear, just enjoy the flight or the transit ride. I will note that I don't fear violence, terror, or mechanical failure that much. It's being unable to leave that freaks me out. Like, for a possible medical reason, or if I just want to calm down. It manifests itself mostly in my throat, with a fear of vomiting. I hate vomiting.

Any experience, success or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by hiko; 02-17-2015 at 02:36 PM.