Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

How to deal with sleep anxiety

Hi all, I'm new to this forum!
    I've been having on and off anxiety since 2009, I'm now 19. I've learnt to deal with all of my issues that come around without any professional help and I've been really good! But recently I've started having sleep problems, which I'm not dealing with so easily. It used to be mild anxiety about sleep, and when I felt tired I eventually got to sleep. Now its turned into not actually sleeping some nights because I'm so afraid! Thinking about sleep from the moment I wake up (if I do sleep that is) to the early hours of the morning. I use positive thinking to overcome most issues, and positively thinking about getting to sleep worked for me for a while until I didn't sleep at all, then I thought nothing would ever work. On wednesday it was my birthday, and I couldn't do much because I didn't get any sleep the night before. I eventually went to the doctors and she prescribed me Somidem (zolpidem tartrate). This has been working, but I would love to get off pills! I've realised my problem is not sleeping, but the anxiety surrounding the insomnia :\ I've tried all the natural remedies like glass of warm milk, bath before bed etc. but nothing calms me down to get to sleep! Please help!!
    Thanks, sorry for such a long post!

Quote Originally Posted by leesarocks View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum!
    I've been having on and off anxiety since 2009, I'm now 19. I've learnt to deal with all of my issues that come around without any professional help and I've been really good! But recently I've started having sleep problems, which I'm not dealing with so easily. It used to be mild anxiety about sleep, and when I felt tired I eventually got to sleep. Now its turned into not actually sleeping some nights because I'm so afraid! Thinking about sleep from the moment I wake up (if I do sleep that is) to the early hours of the morning. I use positive thinking to overcome most issues, and positively thinking about getting to sleep worked for me for a while until I didn't sleep at all, then I thought nothing would ever work. On wednesday it was my birthday, and I couldn't do much because I didn't get any sleep the night before. I eventually went to the doctors and she prescribed me Somidem (zolpidem tartrate). This has been working, but I would love to get off pills! I've realised my problem is not sleeping, but the anxiety surrounding the insomnia :\ I've tried all the natural remedies like glass of warm milk, bath before bed etc. but nothing calms me down to get to sleep! Please help!!
    Thanks, sorry for such a long post!
    Leesarocks but NixonRulz. Remember the pecking order. LOL

I used to have such the same issue. I hated going to sleep but mainly becasue I was alone with my thoughts and heart palpitations.

They were both horrible bed mates

When I closed my eyes, I could fee ny heartbeat, then the palpitations came. Crummy night sleep

I get that you want to get off your meds, but just a suggestion

Being on the pills isn't harming you and if it helps you sleep, you will be able to focus during the day to understand methods to help you without pills

In other words, a tired mind isnt going to function well trying to find your way to change your behaviors

Work them both until you have confidence. Then slowly come off of them

Oh, and welcome aboard

Hope you find some answers here
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

Slept with the lights on, and did what Frankie recommended. Also put relaxing oil under my pillow.

My counsellor told me to do the 20 minute rule. If u try and sleep and can't after 20 mins, make urself get up and do something low key for 5-10 mins. Aka read, get a drink etc. then try laying down again and so on and so forth. Eventually ur mind will realize okay bed equals sleep not stay awake
    I have been trying this for a week now and the past 3 nights with this technique iv had decent to good sleeps