Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
    Banned

Unexpected panic attack, completely caught me off guard and I don't know why..

If someone could shed some light on what's happened to me here, I'd appreciate it.

I have been suffering from panic disorder in the last 2 years. I have my up and down times where it's really bad (lots of panic attacks) then times when it eases off and I don't have as many.

Last Sunday, I was in a pretty good mood for once (at least I thought). I was kind of tired/groggy, I may have even over-slept the night before, but over all I was doing well that day. but on the way home from an outing, my sister told me that a dog of one of her friends needs a home. I was quite happy with this news, as the thought of possibly getting a new dog was a long shot really, since (living with my parents) they really didn't want anymore pets since we lost our family dog last month, since I am living with them for now, I was sad with the thought we'd never have another pet again.

We have been grieving our dog this past month, the loss was quite hard on us to say the least, our dog was such a big part of our lives. In the back of my head, I guess I have sort of wanted another dog to care for (to maybe help move on) but I knew it was just a log shot.

So back to when I got the news. I was elated, really happy, I was thinking maybe there was a chance since my family is willing in to take a needy animal.. I was suddenly hit with these thoughts like "wow, this is just so weird, just the night before, I wished/prayed another dog would come along" and then suddenly it was happening? This just freaked me out for some reason that something was going as I wanted.. so then, suddenly, I felt weird, like I couldn't feel or hear anything around me, and I was having an attack, thankfully, the car was pulling into the lot so I could get out and cool off.

but I just wasn't expecting it because I normally don't get panic attacks over happy news.

This attack has been on my mind all week, and I fear it happening again.

I thought I was getting a lot better at predicting when I'd have another attack, it gave me some comfort recognizing the triggers.. but now this where I panic over happy feelings (while I thought I was happy) just throws everything for a loop.

In any case, for the dog, we still don't know if we are getting her yet, things have not quite been worked out. I hope so, but I really don't know.

but I am so tired of feeling like a helpless prisoner to panic attacks. I take medication for them. but it still seems to not be enough to make them go away.

I know that feeling! Your body is so used to panic, when something in your body changes your mind automatically thinks panic, and gives the fight or flight mode. I get panic attacks like that, having sex, at the gym, excited of something.. I had the most stupid thing, I was like HEY! I'm doing really well today and I feel good.. Boom panic attack. I'm still unsure what to do to make it go away, but I just deep breath concentrate on what I'm doing and it subsides.
    I make youtube videos sometimes, feel free to subscribe
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I also have a facebook!
    AmberGbenga