Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Where is everyone? I saw Beachgirl recently posted on another board but I miss all my CBT friends on here!

I'm still around Tmays and doing great. Probably one of the reasons I don't post as often now... Where does all the time go?

I probably should be on medication but oddly enough it is one of my phobias. I had some bad reactions as a child to medication and growing up and I think that's where this waryness of it comes from.

Aside from that I always feel like taking medication for my anxiety is somehow cheating. For some reason I feel like I should be able to beat this thing on my own by rationalising my way out of it. I feel like if I turn to medication I'm not really solving anything I'm just using it as a crutch. Does anyone else feel that way sometimes?

Give CBT a try. IT has been proven to be more effective than meds and is what got me better

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar View Post
    Give CBT a try. IT has been proven to be more effective than meds and is what got me better
    I second that advice. Totally turned my life around and I am still using the TEA form exercise to great success.

Propranolol does wonders for panic attacks. I'd look into that.

Isn't that what killed Michael Jackson???

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar View Post
    Isn't that what killed Michael Jackson???
    Jackson took propofol. Sounds kinda similar, but propofol is kinda like what you take when they put you out for surgery.

Which to be fair, would stop anxiety pretty successfully lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Medz View Post
    Aside from that I always feel like taking medication for my anxiety is somehow cheating. For some reason I feel like I should be able to beat this thing on my own by rationalising my way out of it. I feel like if I turn to medication I'm not really solving anything I'm just using it as a crutch. Does anyone else feel that way sometimes?
    Hi Dan. Yes I do feel like that at times. I don't plan to always be on Meds, however my current circumstances and built up imbalance require the use of meds to stabilize me in order that I can adopt other methods before I can walk crutch-less again. Using a crutch need not be viewed as weak, but more a tool to strengthen ones resolve. Rationalization has long been a perspective in which I have searched for answers, but have now come to realize that such thinking is limited to only our minds and not the person within. Rationalizing cuts us off from remaining open - it's full of this Vs that with unwavering attachments on words which mean nothing by themselves, yet bring about an negative emotions that seek right and wrong. Logic may serve to distinguish & navigate in a world full of signs and labels, but does little and in fact serves to keep us bound in a prison constrained by words.

I was very anti meds for years - Exercise freak, natural foods guru, bla bla bla ... I was also full of myself and wanted to be front page materiel of all that represents well being and attain ascension - LOL Well perhaps not quite so, but that's the other side of the coin for ya. I guess keeping it simple and going with what works it best. I hit rock bottom to arrive at meds, and discovered since then how they best work for me. If you able to get by without them, then for sure ... your doing well and it's probably the smart way to go ... just don't discount their effectiveness for others who have less options open to them. Not that you are --- I don't mean to imply that, just saying is all.

Weather we like it or not, we live in a world full of chemicals - liberated yet adulterated; so to speak - The lack of movement, natural exposure, and many other basic interactions and human instincts are now being replaced with digitized and bio engineered replacement parts, foods, ethics and so on. Hell - humans now have to create artificial environments that once served to feed our bodies with vitamins and fresh air - instead we have now have to suffer plastic plants with electrically filtered air. When you consider the contrast of this to only say Seven Decades ago ... then go back only Ten more ... It's no bloody wonder, that meds are sorely sort. Not only do we need crutches, but soon we'll all need; a breathing apparatus too.

... just saying is all. ..... perhaps I think too much.
    Take care & best wishes with whatever works for you. I hope us all - a crutch free future.
    Last edited by Ponder; 11-27-2013 at 04:03 PM.