Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: OCD tendencies

OCD tendencies

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here.

I've been managing panic attacks and anxiety for around the last 10 years, and haven't had an attack in the last couple of years. I have found however that I've developed some mild 'OCD like' behavior. For me it centralizes around security. I often find myself checking the doors are locked, in an endless loop. The second I stop checking, i think they might not be locked and check again.

Wondered if anyone else had similar situations? Part of me thinks that maybe because i'm suppressing my anxious thoughts, they're surfacing in this new way?

U would do this all the time! Especially with my stove and frigerator. Lol. My stove mostly. And the front door and windows.

I*************

I also do this with doors and I have to look at things a bunch of times to make sure they are off. Ill have to check to make sure I shut off my straightener .... My dad also does this only his is worse.... We both have anxiety only I was doing this before my anxiety really started

Hello. Yeah a common scenario. Are you on a ssri? Even a base dose might help allot. Alankay

thanks for the replies guys, - good to know its not just me

alankay - I don't take anything. to be honest here in the UK it seems very uncommon to take drugs for anxiety (i'm assuming that's what ssri is)

There's various things I check, repeatedly, obsessively. I find it sometimes helps to say out loud whilst Im checked something like 'yes the door is locked' then walk away, although this looks a little odd.

I also find that sharing with other people can help. My wife sometimes says, right now you've checked, leave it! Or sometimes she'll offer to lock up. Suprisingly I seem fine to let her take on the responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by FacingFears View Post
    thanks for the replies guys, - good to know its not just me

alankay - I don't take anything. to be honest here in the UK it seems very uncommon to take drugs for anxiety (i'm assuming that's what ssri is)

There's various things I check, repeatedly, obsessively. I find it sometimes helps to say out loud whilst Im checked something like 'yes the door is locked' then walk away, although this looks a little odd.

I also find that sharing with other people can help. My wife sometimes says, right now you've checked, leave it! Or sometimes she'll offer to lock up. Suprisingly I seem fine to let her take on the responsibility
    We have ssri tablets here .... Sertaline is one , it helps with a number of things , one been anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by locksey View Post
    We have ssri tablets here .... Sertaline is one , it helps with a number of things , one been anxiety
    oh ok - there you go! Maybe things have moved along in the UK since I last spoke to a doc about it (over 10 yrs ago)