Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post election anxiety- Please help

Hi. I'm new on the site, but i figured I'd give this a go.

I'm sixteen. I've been dealing with undiagnosed GAD for the past few years and was only recently diagnosed when I began having panic attacks. Then my GAD got much worse. Previously, it was health anxiety. Now, I'm scared to death of the results of the presidential election. Thinking about Donald Trump being president makes me want to throw up from how scared I am. I can't sleep. I've been crying all day. My family is relatively unsympathetic. I don't know what to do. I'm so afraid that he is going to start a nuclear war, or put us all in danger, or get us nuked because he says something that makes another country angry. I'm tearing up just writing this. I'm young, and I really don't want to die before I've had a chance to live.

I can't focus on my acting, or my school work, or pretty much anything else. Any words of wisdom or advice or calming would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 11-09-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Well, look at the bright side, Shadowcat, maybe Trump will become more presidential now that he's knows that he's going to be leading our nation.

I'm so sorry your family isn't being more supportive I know things seem bleak right now. Heck this morning I had bad thoughts about od'ing my depression pills. But we're here for you <3 I'm not going to say the stereotypical "We'll get through this." Because I don't know. I'm not saying that to scare you, I just prefer honesty. But I do know that we can try our best. It's going to be scary over the next four years. I live in Georgia, basically Trump central but somehow, I haven't been attacked yet. Your fears and worries are valid and that's okay.

If you ever need someone to talk to, we're here for you. I'm here often. PM any time you need

-Justa

I don't know. I've always been able to deal with my HA because there was always that part of me that recognized how irrational it was. But now... It just seems so much more real

I would worry about nuking the world if Clinton won. He is not so fast to do it.
    It is a shame she got rid of Sanders the only good choice for a president in this election. I had seen the protests in NY and Chicago and I think it is disgusting the way people behave. They chose and I do not think you should cry, The panic and paranoia in US right now is very upsetting. People should stop and think.
    I really understand your fear but you are going to be ok. Is your family not happy with the elect?
    The country looks like is very divided, I hope you guys will get together and solve all the arguments
    Last edited by Dahila; 11-09-2016 at 07:16 PM.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I would not worry, as the President does not have complete power like a dictatorship and their is built in
    checks and balances in the political system.

Thank you, Kirk. That helps.

Dahlia, no my family is not happy with the elect. But to be fair, they wouldn't have been happy either way.

Justaspekt, I do have one or two family members who support me. Namely, my mother and father because they have the same thing. But I don't live with either of them. I don't contacy my father often, and I've been trying to talk to my mother but for the last day or so I haven't been able to get her on the phone. Which makes things worse because she is usually my outlet.
    But I live with my grandmother, and she is a little less than supportive.

I woke up a few times and thought "Trump is President" A clown is President of the United States. Can we all just take a minute to laugh about this?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Like Kirk said, he cannot just do things alone by himself like they can in other countries. Remember we have THREE branches of government and he is only ONE (Executive Branch). There is the Judicial Branch and the Legislative Branch. So he doesn't have the power like you would think from watching the news. Try to forget about Trump and just focus on yourself and set some goals and work each day on those goals. It will get better each day as we will hear less and less about it on the news.

Gypsy, I heard a reporter on TV say that in Australia you have to show up. You don't have to vote, but on voting day you can't just stay home. Is that true or false? Thanks!