Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Help anyone

Unhappy Help anyone

new here and really needing some help and answers
    Growing up I was a star runner at my high school. I had a few anxiety attacks but nothing ever too major. I have had Asthma since I was born so I always assumed they were asthma attacks. I went on to run in college and things were fine for awhile until the stress just really started to build. I was a full time athlete, student, and worker. I believe I just put too much pressure on my self and that is when things really started to get bad. I began to sleep less and less because I would feel so restless and uncomfortable. And then the attacks happened more frequently and more intense. I get tunnel vision, shortness of breath, my stomach hurts, sweaty palms and numbness in my toes and fingers. When this happens it makes it very difficult for me to calm down because I get racy thoughts of thinking I am going to have an asthma attack. And so I guess what really brings me to this board is because on February 21st, 2012 I was admitted to the ER. I had experienced a stress induced panic attack caused by anxiety and lack of sleep. My weight had dropped 21 pounds, I was severely dehydrated and had electrolyte imbalance. I had been sleeping maybe 3-5 hours a night and therefore was immensly stressed. The doctor diagnosed me with GAD and MDD. He referred me to another doctor which I will be seeing next week. In the mean time he prescribed me 300mg neurontin to be taken three times daily. He also prescribed me Remeron, and Ambien. My sleeping has certainly improved however I am still having anxiety attacks. They will just happen out of nowhere. For example, my last one took place at 2 in the morning. I woke up abruptly from sleep with tunnell vision, shortness of breath, immense tension, sweating but I felt cold, stomach pain, sweaty palms, numbing in my fingers and toes, and a very dull lonely feeling. When I go see my doctor next week, is there anything he can give me to use only right when I start having one? Something that would maybe kick in fast and calm me down. I can't handle this anymore. This is literally terring down everything I was. I went from a collegiate athelete to rock bottom in a matter of a few months. I fear the worst if this doesnt get under control.

hiya. the meds you are on, can all increase anxiety. the neurontin meds - if you have worsening of anxiety, depression etc. then you are supposed to see your doctor.

as for meds to take during an attack - there are meds out there for this. but have you thought about other ways of dealing with them, without meds like breathing exercises to get it back under control?

[QUOTE="as for meds to take during an attack - there are meds out there for this. but have you thought about other ways of dealing with them, without meds like breathing exercises to get it back under control?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Why not try cognitive behavioral therapy? It's therapy that trains your brain how to respond to anxiety symptoms. It only lasts a few months and it really helps...and you won't need to pop a pill the rest of your life. I've done it and I'm a million times better. I can prevent my panic attacks from even happening. Good luck!

Well I do feel as if my anxiety has increased. I called the doc yesterday and he was out for the day. So I will try again on Monday. I was considering stoping them for the weekend but he specifically said for me to not do that and give them a chance to work. But that was over 2 weeks ago when I first went in. I have tried to lean over and breathe deeply and slow but my mind always makes it difficult to regain control during an attack. I always assume I am going to start having an asthma attack even though this never happens. I just would really like something that would stop them on the spot. I have only been having them about twice a week. But actually this past week I had 4, my last one being about two hours ago in fact. I believe the anti-depressant I am on is working fine but my anxiety is certainly not any better and it seems like it is actually worse. I just really hope the doctor is in on monday so that I can talk to him on the phone.

the side effects of anti depressants usually subside within 2 weeks. so don't give up! the meds could be what is increasing your anxiety. just hang in there - your anxiety will die down after the side effects have wore off. like you said, ring on monday and see what the doc has to say about further meds