Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Did you know it's not uncommon for people experiencing a panic attack for the first time to go to the emergency room thinking they are having a heart attack? We're definitely not alone in our experiences.

I've experienced similar issues like nausea, lack of appetite, upset stomach, dizziness, lightheaded-ness, racing heart, arrhythmia, chest pains, stiff neck, stiff everything, soreness, and numbness & tingling in my hands, feet, arms, and legs.

I don't know if it's comforting for you, but I personally feel some relief knowing that there's nothing wrong with my heart or nervous system--it's "just" anxiety. It's astonishing how and how much anxiety can affect your body!

It's also frustrating, because I often feel weak for "letting" my emotions wreak such havoc on my life. But I know it's not about "just" and "letting". There's no "just" about anxiety and it's not as simple as "letting" myself get worked up. If it were that easy, no one would have issues in the first place.

I've had trouble with anxiety off and on for most of my life. I've been better than today -- I've gone years without even thinking about anxiety. There are lots of things that can and will help, but it's different for everyone.

One common characteristic of anxiety is 'loops'. Thought loops and feedback loops. I feel bad. Because I have anxiety. Feeling bad makes me anxious, which makes me feel worse. Et cetera. It's easy to get caught in those loops. For me, it's important to identify and understand them so that I can stop feeding into them. Breaking loops and helping my body manage "the freak out chemicals" better are helpful. Taking a walk sometimes serves both purposes.

Another common characteristic is avoidance. Consciously or not, I tend to avoid anything that makes me uncomfortable or requires a lot of effort. Having an anxiety disorder means I'm tired and feel bad a lot of the time, so I don't feel I have the energy. Unfortunately, many things that help manage anxiety are hard to do, really hard. Feeling bad makes them even harder to do. But if I were to do them, I'd feel better.

Anyway, you might find formal relaxation exercises are more helpful than trying to relax casually. A while back I used to practice meditation, which as a side effect, taught me a variety of breath control and relaxation techniques. At the time, I was doing it it was because I was into New-Agey stuff. It was only later, when I'd fallen out of the habit for a few years, that I realized that it had been a major factor in helping me manage my anxiety and I learned that CBT involves relaxation exercises.

I'd post some links to examples, but I don't have the required post count. Try googling for CBT relaxation exercises.

I have a tendency to isolate myself when I have anxiety trouble. It's something that I need to do, to some extent, but it's also unhealthy. It lowers my stimulation, which is good because I'm overstimulated and oversensitive to stimulation. But it also lowers my threshold for stimulation over time. Try not to let yourself get too isolated--it can end up depressing you.

Thanks I will check out CBT exercises.

Today was still pretty damn rough. Instead of waking up fine and having a bit of time before my neck started hurting, the whole back of my head felt fuzzy and in pain. Around supper I had intense abdominal pain again and I realized that during this my neck felt completely fine, then later at my friends I was dizzy again and with head pain.

I asked a friend who I should see for help or to get prescribed medication and she said to breath and to make sure I'm breathing from my stomach. Surprisingly this helped more than I could have imagined I felt better and the act of doing so seems so complicated (just breathing from the stomach) that it keeps my mind too busy to worry.

I guess I'm still really worrying though that there could be something wrong, I mean the pain is so strong its so hard to imagine thoughts manifesting into this and why. Nothing is really stressing me out THAT much right now it's like its all subconscious. Like I said anyway it's been since August of last year and the doctors haven't really found anything so I'm stuck worrying. I'm not sure if the back of the neck has lymph nodes or what kinds of glands so I don't know, but it feels like "lymph" pain. Sometimes they swell up and I feel a tightness in the area or numbness, but if it was that this would probably be like a viral infection in my neck which is weird to be having over and over :\ I don't know if stress or anxiety can aggravate my lymph nodes.

Yep - I ended up in A&E with my first panic attack. Called NHS Direct 3 times, went to the local emegecncy doctor once then onto A&E. That was all in the space of 4-5 hours! When you're experiencing it for the first time it's the scariest thing ever!
    Earlgrey; my headache has been with me since Saturday. At first I thought it was something more sinister but I have aches/pains down my neck and in my shoulders so it is tension. The ache is moving around my head and is now easing off so hoping it's leaving! Hope you feel better soon. xx

Ugh still not doing too good. With this episode in particular it's really been freaking me out. I've had neck pain episodes since August but only this week have I had the dizziness and light headedness. I haven't passed out at all yet but at times I feel MAJOR light headed. The more I think this is just anxiety and in my head the more I worry that I could be ignoring something serious. I really think I should see the doctor again but the doctors here are TERRIBLE and my parents said I really shouldn't go because they probably already have me on file as showing up to emerge with all these random conditions. I find it very hard to believe this kind of pain has been brought up by anxiety. It feels so physical, and unless it is a physical manifestation of something mental I don't know how to take it.. I'm beginning to feel desperate and wish I had someone to run to. No one around me knows how I feel but me and it's so hard to explain, and they just say "ahh you're just stressed, relax man" or "it's just how you're sitting at your computer or something"

I am also new here

Reading through these posts I am able to relate to a lot of what you say. I also suffer from neck stiffness/cracking and general tension in my body. I think this is mainly to do with my anxiety. I was diagnosed with GAD when I first started uni back in 2009 and went on some mild anti depressants. This seemed to work as the anxiety seemed to get better. I have since come off the medication and things have been fine for a while. However, recently things have started to get slightly worse. Instead of worrying about everything- I seem now to worry mainly about my health and health related issues. I do the same- look on google and seem to find out that every symtom is deadly!! If I have the smallest thing wrong with me I convince myself that it is serious- the most recent issue being a urine infection, I have had some urine tests and it shows that its just a common urine infection - however, I was convinced before that it was something really bad. I get terrible butterflies when I see posters and things regarding health and illnesses and I am scared to blame my worries on anxiety incase I miss something serious. I find that talking my issues through with someone close to me often helps- actually saying my concern out loud puts a lot of my worry into perspective. I think when I am alone and when I have time to think these things through more and more it becomes worse- things like driving home from work or laying in bed. I have been to see the doctor recently and he suggested cognitive therapy...anyone tried this? Also, going to see your GP about your issues shouldnt be a problem (unless you are going everyday for something different of course!) because the NHS is there for you to use to make sure that you are ok.

Hey guys . What u guys are writing here is so helpfull for alot of ppl. I myself deal with anxiety. I mean it started last year and in a couple of months , the symptoms disapeared, the only thing left is the hypohondria( sorry if i dont spell it right, im romanian) and with this hypohondria comes depression cuz instead of enjoying things and life i keep worrying about diseases and stuff. For example for the last 3 days i was feeling dizzy and tired, i googled of course if its smth happening in the air. I found out there had been a solar explosion yesterday. The biggest in the last 7 yrs. okay. But why isnt anybody else feeling bad ? And stuff like that... I dont want anxiety to control my life again. Though it only happened for a couple of months last year , i keep reading about ppl dealinf with it for their whole life and i wonder if ima be one of them... And of course that makes me anxious (( so wat is it to do ? I wanna be a normal person

When you have the dizziness is it just when your anxious and thinking about your health?

It is for me. I had a splitting headache the other day and all of a sudden while we were at the shops I felt dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. How I held it together I don't know. Started thinking I have a brain tumour. Headache gone now and so has the thought but the episode has left me feeling really tense and my whole body is twitchy and a bit shaky. I'm back to Parkinsons now! I KNOW I don't have this but my mind is constantly looking for explanations and I keep having to drum it in that IT IS ANXIETY! xx

It just happens whenever really. Mostly at work I guess or at night. It's just weird because at this moment in my life I'm not that stressed out compared to other times, so it's like my anxiety has gotten so much worse all of the sudden without me even knowing. I worry about my health which makes me worry and the worrying worsens my health, its and endless cycle.

My anxiety is the same- gets worse for no particular reason. The past week or so has been bad and I don't know why- just one of them things. Being at work and at night are the worst for me too - but those are the times that I get most time to think alone. It seems to be a new thing that worries me everyday or week- today has been something I did at work- worrying if it was correct and thinking what if this or what if that! I think WHAT IF is a big thing for me, I always think what if- and the worst possible thing. I always think the worst of a situation. Its getting over that 'what if something bad happens' which is the hardest thing for me.