Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    must try this as im starting to have more frequent anxiety attacks. i have tried every thing but this so ill have ago next time and pm if it works

Goya love your tips. Do these work for derealization?

I'm not sure. Worth a try I think. Let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by PanicCured
    I used to have extreme anxiety and panic. I do not get panic attacks anymore. I have written extensively about how I overcame this problem, but this is a quick guide of what to do when anxiety creeps up or the panic has already occurred. This may not work for everyone, but I truly believe it will work for most people.

I have been using this technique and it works. I used to tense my body during such time that ( as I now think) would have made things even harder. As today I was feeling really anxious and I remembered this, i let my body loose, and it was like waves are passing over me but not within me as I am reading some magical words. After a while I felt better. I have to say Thankyou.
    Last edited by Emmzee; 05-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.

That is wonderful to hear Emmzee! You have taken the first courageous step into overcoming anxiety by not feeding it and letting it pass over you. Fantastic work! You should be proud of yourself. Keep letting us know your progress. You didn't fall for the bluff. Great job!

I sometimes try to use these same techniques, or very similar. I learned them from a book my best friend recommended to me.

Howdy!

The technique(s) described are certainly worth a try for sufferes at any stage, however during MY worst period of anxiety/attacks - I don't think this would have worked for me.

Due to the (well acknowledged) symptoms of chest pain, racing heart and general feeling of impending death... lol, there was no other way but for me to do the "flight" thang. I'd drive to my parents or partners - there was no other way.

They say "try not to "flight" & seek reassurance from others" but there was NO WAY I was going to sit and ride out the hell alone. NO WAY HO-ZAY!

Regards,
    Darren

some great info here! I am by no means anxiety free but my panic attacks are almost under control. I use some of the tips here especially if I feel panic coming on so that I can prevent a full blown attack. Something my therapist told me the other week which I find helpful is actually not to sit it out and wait, although this works for some folk not for me. She said that when the body is in it's fight/flight mode then sitting doing nothing can make things worse. The body is in this mode and ready to move, everything inside you is working extra fast in preparation for fight/flight so actually getting up and moving about can help get rid of the excess energy. I have found this has worked for me- for instance, instead of going into a toilet cubicle and sitting down waiting for it to pass trying to regulate your breathing etc I will walk about while focusing on regulating my breathing and in a way I will walk it off. However, this is obviously not always possible depending on where you are and what you are doing. In these case I try visualisation. I'll imaging myself in a protective bubble or with a shield around me- sounds lame but it has helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'll imaging myself in a protective bubble or with a shield around me- sounds lame but it has helped!
    Haha!

Yep, sounds lame alright but if it works for you then that's great hon! :-)

At least you don't have to lie down like some people have to - no matter where they are!
    Imagine that at at work... "Scuse me everybody in the office, I've just gotta lie down on the carpet here for a bit while I suffer this simulated heart attack. I won't be long"

The thing is - when you first get (contract?) anxiety disorder, you don't know what the hell it is and it's just horrific.

The very first ever panic attack is just hideous beyond description, but thinking back - something at the very darkest corner of my mind kinda knew it was panic and not real, despite the overwhelming symptoms that were going on.
    (I didn't call for an ambulance by the way - yay me!, lol)

Uggghhh... makes me shudder thinking about that night (late December last year)

It takes a handful of massive panic attacks, some therapy and of course time to get to grips with it.
    (From 6 months to a year is a reasonable time imo)

You've just got to chill really. Don't let the stuff that's worrying you - worry you, because worry is the route of many evils and is pretty pointless in itself.

I had panic and now I don't. I probably won't ever again. I would advise you to take my tips seriously.

When I say this is the quick guide to stopping panic, that is exactly what I mean. You are telling me your method is better, yet you have not cured your anxiety disorder. That is not true that you are just unable to sit still and relax. I mean, if you need to walk a little or move a little with all that adrenaline flowing then there's no harm in that. But not to go searching for help or reassurance. But if you do these tips at the very beginning stages, your adrenaline may barely get released anyway. But I would advise you to just try this exactly as I laid out and see how it goes.

It is untrue that you MUST contact friends and drive somewhere, Dazza. That is only if you are not being at your most courageous self. A panic attack is a load of bullshit, and nothing bad will ever come of it. When you completely understand it and take that in, you don't need to run from it because it's a bluff anyway. Who cares if your heart is racing and you feel you are going crazy if you realize it is just a panic attack. Every runner, biker and swimmer has their heart race. But if you follow these tips I laid above, you may not even get into full blown panic. But searching for help and running around and over breathing and screaming HELP! isn't how you cure yourself. You may find a friend, family member or doctor to reassure you that you are ok, and then your panic attack may subside. But it will just happen again if this is your method of curing yourself. Or you can take medication with side effects which you will always need to take. My tips here are not to make you feel better and give you some nonsense reassurance, but to assist in curing you of panic completely and learn to out bluff the bluff.

Just take the right herbs and supplements to nourish your nerves, follow these tips, lead a healthy lifestyle with yoga and exercise and natural food, fully understand anxiety and what your symptoms mean, and force yourself to be in fearful situations and override the anxiety and the voices telling you that you can't do this or that or you will die, and you will be real good!

I would suggest you follow the tips at the top of the post word for word at least one time when you feel the first stages of panic come on and test it out and see. Just give it a try. Don't say I can't. Just do it. You will not die! Just try it.

God helps those who help themselves PERIOD!