Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

starting an old medication again

I have been on Zoloft in the past for obsessive thoughts and anxiety and had good results (After a few dosage increases) I haven't been on it in a while and found that my most recent med, Viibryd, was ineffective. My doctor has started me on Zoloft again and I am so scared that it won't work this time, like I have built up an immunity to all drugs or something. Does anyone know if a drug works well once, if you go back to it will it work again?

I have been on & off Effexor XR a few times & every time worked like the last, so be confident but you have to give it time. Each time for me it took a while but eventually I was back to the real me
    My dosage was lowered recently & I went back to anxiety full force, so now the dosage is back up again & I am working on getting back to me once again. It's only been a week after bumping it back up, so I am trying to be patient. I am prego to so thats not helping much but well see! I'll keep u updated if u would like

I think it will work again. Particularly if you've been off it for a while. If not try celexa or fluoxetine. Paxil is another option. Alankay

I need to ask a question . I was taking zoloft for one year. It went great for me especially that i worked so hard with myself to get over anxiety , i did reflexotherapy and read alot of positive books that i recomend ( the secret by rhonda byrne ) . I gained like 7 kg after one year. And it seems so hard to lose the weight now. Can someone tell me if he had this problem ? Thank you

I just started on my original medication again. It worked great for me the first time for 2.5 years. Unfortunately the doctors neglected to tell me that I should have been doing CBT and such. They just said the magic pill would make me better. It quit working and for the last 2.5 years I have been trying others. That was a no-go. I recently (3 weeks ago) spoke to my psych and she said that after 6 months of not being on a specific drug that originally worked, your receptors are no longer sensitive to it and it should work again. Sorry for the novel, but basically, Im sure it should work for you again Mine is finally starting to kick in

Quote Originally Posted by mommy.n
    I have been on & off Effexor XR a few times & every time worked like the last, so be confident but you have to give it time. Each time for me it took a while but eventually I was back to the real me
    My dosage was lowered recently & I went back to anxiety full force, so now the dosage is back up again & I am working on getting back to me once again. It's only been a week after bumping it back up, so I am trying to be patient. I am prego to so thats not helping much but well see! I'll keep u updated if u would like
    Thanks for checking in on me. I have been on Zoloft at 100 mg for about a month and up until two days ago was feeling great. The last two days it seems as if anxiety is starting up again which is somewhat concerning since it hasnt been very long but my doc said he really wants to push the dose so hopefully when I increase I will feel better again. I just hope it lasts this time! Please keep me updates on you and good luck with the pregnancy!

Quote Originally Posted by ab8489

Thanks for checking in on me. I have been on Zoloft at 100 mg for about a month and up until two days ago was feeling great. The last two days it seems as if anxiety is starting up again which is somewhat concerning since it hasnt been very long but my doc said he really wants to push the dose so hopefully when I increase I will feel better again. I just hope it lasts this time! Please keep me updates on you and good luck with the pregnancy!
    Thanks, it's going ok, but a l have a lot of morning sickness that isn't giving me a break...it's more like all day all night sickness!
    I found that when my dosage was increased the anxiety sometimes went up & then for better, so don't let it discourage you if that happens. If it was helping somewhat, give it a chance keep going with it. These medications take so long to kick in, it's so unfair. Once you start feeling better you can focus a bit more & work on getting rid of the anxiety much easier. When's your next doc appointment/up the dose?

Quote Originally Posted by mommy.n

Thanks, it's going ok, but a l have a lot of morning sickness that isn't giving me a break...it's more like all day all night sickness!
    I found that when my dosage was increased the anxiety sometimes went up & then for better, so don't let it discourage you if that happens. If it was helping somewhat, give it a chance keep going with it. These medications take so long to kick in, it's so unfair. Once you start feeling better you can focus a bit more & work on getting rid of the anxiety much easier. When's your next doc appointment/up the dose?
    Good luck with the sickness mine wasn't that bad but I was sure tired all the time. My doc appt is next Wednesday. Thank you very much for wonderful encouragement