Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question spacy when driving Help

Hello, sometimes I get this spacy feeling when driving and is wondering if anyone else gets this and how to go by gettin rid of this feeling?, sometimes mine clears up a bit then comes back any ideas?

Had that a bit. Pay attention to your breathing. Not breathing right from anxiety puts your blood gases off a bit and makes us feel lightheaded/spacey, etc. Calm, slow breathing should help and make sure your muscle tension is not too high. Alankay.

If I try to breath slower will it help? When I pay attention to it?, is this what u mean?

Ive noticed that sometimes I forget to breathe so to say like in a tense situation. like driving at night on a crowded highway in the rain or snow.

Alankay, Ur basically saying its my breathing when I'm driving that is causing my anxiety?

Your breathing pattern can greatly affect anxiety.

So what would the solution be for this?

me too

I try not to drive alot for this very reason. there is some times in a day where i can drive and be completely fine and there are others where i cannot drive at all. it makes no since. i have never been in a car accident or anything like that. I think alot of it has to do with breathing because i breathe "on edge" all the time and i dont even realize that i am doing it.
    The only way round is through.

Quote Originally Posted by transam1170 View Post
    So what would the solution be for this?
    for me I just make sure I breathe constantly and dont forget to breath. I am generally not anxious when I am driving under normal conditions

Trans, interrupted normal breathing can cause co2 levels to raise and make you feel funny, lightheaded, etc. Then that makes your more anxious.
    Normal paced breathing could help. People breath differently/abnormally(and don't realize it) when anxious and makes it worse as it scares us. Alankay.