Hello everyone, I just found this site and I would like to share some background information. I'm 24 years old and I had what you would call a Nervous Breakdown when I was 19. I actually had a panic attack, something I had never experienced before and couldn't control my emotions.
I thought that was going to be something temporary but I kept having more panic attacks as well as Agoraphobia and Social Anxiety. Then I was unable to leave the house or drive, having a feeling I was going to go crazy anytime. I also got VERY uncomfortable in situations where I didn't have an easy way out in case 'something happened'.
Being in a room (other than my bedroom) with the door closed, or being sandwiched between 2 people, (even if they were friends) at a restaurant table was just unbearable.
I went to a Psychiatrist and she prescribed me Sertraline (Zoloft) but that didn't help at all. I later started doing some research on my own, reading books and the Internet and I decided to self medicate with Diazepam (Valium) and Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril) as a temporary measure.
It was great, finally I was able to go back to work, enjoy social activities and in general live a normal life again. I was taking a steady dose of 10mg every other day.
This continued for 4 years, which according to what I've read, is not a good idea. I had been concerned with the cronic use of benzodiazepines but since it helped me carry on with my life I never gave it a second thought.

Then recently I started having some problems at home and the Anxiety and panic attacks returned stronger than ever. I had to increase my dose to 20mgs a day, sometimes combining Valium and Klonopin. Though not an alcoholic, I also drink to relieve some of the anxiety.

Would there be any health repercussions if I continue using benzos like this, probably for the rest of my life? I know this has probably been asked before but: Is there an alternative to the use of benzos? Any help would be greatly appreciated.