Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

View Poll Results: How do you cope with your social anxiety?

Voters
1188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medication

162 13.64%
  • Herbal Remedies

49 4.12%
  • Therapy

56 4.71%
  • Self-help

263 22.14%
  • A mixture of any of the above

428 36.03%
  • I don't cope

230 19.36%
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
    Positive thinking and rational thinking are two ways that I have successfully managed my anxieties over the last nine years or so.

And taking my meds has been another way.

I try to not look to far ahead , focus on the present n then give my self a stiff telling off. I refuse to b beaten by a ‘feeling’ that ive overcome before but there’s still times when that edgy feeling of doom slips over me so I try to mute the ‘what ifs’ my brain is saying. I try distraction , I try facing that horrible feeling when u know the panics brewing and I try to rationalise my thoughts. People with anxiety are some of the strongest people I know because everyday can b a challenge.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos and try to keep busy by cleaning or otherwise being very productive. I try my hardest to just stay focused on the good, the rational and kind thoughts as opposed to whatever is giving me such a spook.

Hi movie freak,

Perhaps the invitation is to be with the anxiety ? instead of trying to run away from it? perhaps anxiety is a sign that we aren't living in alignment. What do you think about that?

Mike

I am running on high alert as my new norm it seems. I have tried some meds but didn't want to stay on them, I have an interest in finding and correcting the root cause. I am taking a GABA supplement and every now and then I'll take an allergy pill to calm me down if it's really bad. I am currently seeking new ways to rid myself of these feelings as a norm completely, we'll see what I come up with this year.

Josh

Josh..

How's the GABA supplement working? Didn't do much for me and I've tried almost every brand. I understand not liking the side effects of psych meds. When I was discharged from the Hospital in April, I was forcibly put back on Effexor and I really hate it, so I'm slowly tapering off it.

Keep us posted.

Up until the last year I was coping with walking, breathing, and a sort of meditation, along with the usual talking to friends and family and just generally finding ways to distract myself. I went to therapy for the first time in 2016 and that really helped. But now I am on medication and it seems to be helping. It took a long time to get to that point where I realized it was probably a good idea but I am glad I bit the bullet. Hoping it's just temporary until things in my life settle, but we'll see. No shame in it, we all have our struggles and there shouldn't be a stigma.

I was on zanax, and it worked very well for my anxiety. Last October my doctor cut me off completely, because he said he can no longer precribe benzos. We have tried several different meds since then, but they haven't helped. Two months ago he decided to put me on cymbalta, 30m.g., a month later I saw him, and let him know it was not helping, so he upted the dose to 60m.g. I began to feel extremely depressed and at times suicidal, so I researched it. The possible side effects are overwhelming, and scary. I didn't even bother going to my appt this month. Is there any meds that do help

I tried going to therapy and it worked. Remember to choose a therapist you are comfortable with though. Or else, the treatment won't be as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Benzoswork4me View Post
    I was on zanax, and it worked very well for my anxiety. Last October my doctor cut me off completely, because he said he can no longer precribe benzos. We have tried several different meds since then, but they haven't helped. Two months ago he decided to put me on cymbalta, 30m.g., a month later I saw him, and let him know it was not helping, so he upted the dose to 60m.g. I began to feel extremely depressed and at times suicidal, so I researched it. The possible side effects are overwhelming, and scary. I didn't even bother going to my appt this month. Is there any meds that do help
    I'm in that same boat, doctors I see won't prescribe anything narcotic anymore. Could ask for buspar, it was helpful when I remembered to take it twice a day; one of those meds that needs to be taken regularly to work properly. I've talked to other people that have also been completely cut off from benzos. You aren't alone trust me.