Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Alone

Alone

I'm 18 years old and was diagnosed with agoraphobia a little over 2 years ago. I have had it since I can remember though. I finally graduated high school, something I though would never happen since I dropped out so many times. Now comes the time where one asks themselves whats next. I've had high intentions of college, and a career. Now that I've gotten to that point in my life I've realized I cannot do it. I've been to a few psychiatrists and they all thought that it was something I could go out and conquer during the weekend. I talk to my parents about being agoraphobia and I get this: "Youre not using this as an excuse to not get a job, are you?" I can't take any of it anymore, I feel so alone. No one close to me understands the effect it has on my life, and people I love get angry at me for not wanting to go anywhere with them. I'm at my wits end and I'm all out of options. Lately, I've had to stop myself crying all the time from not knowing what to do. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm just a big joke to everyone that supposedly cares about me. They all think that I'm just lazy and worthless. What do I do?

Well no wonder your parents hate you.
    Her mind a machine, a repetitive thing.

Im 18 and have suffered from agorophobia for 4 years. My family are the same as urs, they think its my way out of gettin a job. They just think im lazy. I understand evrything u have said, as i feel exactly the same.

I'm 40, and have suffered off and on my whole life with it. Being improperly treated in my younger years, and having multiple traumas, and unsopportive family has not helped any.

I can totally understand how you feel. I get the whole lazy thing myself, and the "just snap out of it". Geesh, what great advice huh? If I could do that I would have long ago. I don't like being like this. It's hard. Somehow, though, don't despair you can get through it with support. I wish I had found this place and a few other of the places I have on the net years ago.

I don't give up hope for a future, nor should you!!! You are young, and have much to look forward too. Why not go back to one of the psychiatrists you have seen and tell that person exactly what you posted here.

Keep posting!!!

L :tongue:

Hey, was reading your post and although i have not been told or diagnosed with agoraphobia i fear it is what i have but only in a limited form. I hate going out, leaving home, meeting new people because i get anxious and can't breathe and feel sick. I have to pretend that i am ok all the time and i am so fed up and sick of feeling like this. i did some research on the net and the therapy's sound quite good. was wondering if you had tried any? also have told my parents who think its just an excuse not to go out. i have just started university and i am finding it extremely difficult but i am hanging in there because i believe it will get better if i am strong and find others that understand.

Hi,

I'm sorry that your parents are behaving that way with you. I don't think they understand what you're really experiance.Don't ever think you're worthless! And don't give up because ther is help for your problem.Let me give you some info., on Agoraphobia.

So, what is agoraphobia you might ask? This is a condition where an individual doesn’t wish to go places or face situations where they could become exposed to panic attacks.

The very word agoraphobia itself lets us know the nature of this debilitating condition. ‘Agora’ comes from the Greek language and it means places where people meet, or a marketplace. ‘Phobia’ is a fear of something. Thus we can understand that people who suffer from agoraphobia have a fear of being in crowded places.Agoraphobia is a condition that develops gradually. In general it occurs after a panic attack. After the first attack you may subconsciously be preparing for another.An agoraphobia sufferer will go out of their way to avoid those places and situations where a panic attack may occur. They may even end up being housebound as they avoid being in crowded places.

This unhealthy lifestyle can in itself trigger agoraphobic attacks to occur in everyday normal situations. Many of us have heard of mental disorders, and most of us think that only certain people become afflicted with these conditions. However this is simply not the case.

Mental disorders include panic attacks, anxiety disorders and social anxieties as well. These attacks can range from mild discomfort to debilitating agoraphobia and this is a condition that can strike anyone.I would like to give some info on alternitive treatment but there isn't enough room here.
    If you would like to know more than you may want to look-up my site listed on the bottom. I hope I can be of some help. Good luck and don't give up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey! All i can say is you're not alone! There are so many of us out there, and as crazy, lost and missunderstood as we all so do, it's a comforting feeling to know there are so many other people out there going through the same thing!!
    If it's any consulation my parents were exactly the same in the beginning. It took them a long time to believe that i wasn't 'faking it', and for so long the resented me deeply. But now they're great and really supportive and with time and a little understanding i'm sure yours will too. Just share with them the pain that you're going through!
    What truely makes me laugh about these situations, when people think we're faking it, is that i don't imagine any one of us has the comprehension of why anyone would fake what we go through day in and day out to get out of work!! I think any one of us would sell our souls to the devil if it meant we could work and be 'normal' again, i know i would!! I think you're doing great, the fact that you made it through graduation, despite suffering from this is a huge achievement and you should really be proud of yourself for that. Please don't take the attitude of you can't take your education further, because you can, just take some time out and invsetigate some therapy options first. I am trying a process called 'Lightening Therapy' in the new year, which a friend of mine has had and swears by, as do so many others, it's got almost 100% positive feedback...so look into it.
    www.lighteningtherapy.com
    All the best and keep your chin up!!

Don't give up

I had my first attack a week before I turned 21. You need to let your parents read some info on anxiety disorders. My Dad didn't understand it at all, but he NEVER made me feel like it was excuse for anything. Especially since I have worked my whole life starting as a volunteer at the age of 13. They need to read some info.

Chele
    Bubby