Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very good to be here and thanks for that!

This is amazing. This will be very helpful for me since I "suffer" from a few mental "illnesses".

Does anyone have any recommendations for helpful books about coping with depression? I've been through dozens and most of the information is old, repeated, or gets me discourage when I don't get the same results the author does.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin88 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for helpful books about coping with depression? I've been through dozens and most of the information is old, repeated, or gets me discourage when I don't get the same results the author does.
    I never get the same result when I actively engage in seeking out nuggets of gold from the same old books and or authors who write about the same old stuff. For me, I reinvent the message as I know it's all to do with my approach and little with what the author wants. That is to say it means little as to the authors intent if I am not willing to create the images for myself. It took years for me to digest what Eckhart Tolle had to say in his book the Power Of Now. Each time I revisited the book, the more I began to see.

I would suggest it's not so much what's happening for the author, but more what's going on inside myself as I read. Depending on the level of Anxiety and Depression with all its associated byproduct, it can take 'time' for healing messages to sink it. Like a hard rock that's looking to soften its skin.

That said ... it was not until reading self help books of a spiritual nature that I was able to filter out the dry clinical process of abbreviated methods that have sold many books. My list of disorders is quite extensive 'rolls eyes' My list is more more to satisfy the system than it is for me. Books like 'A New Earth' 'Power of Now' 'Wherever You Go There You Are' 'Full Catastrophe Living' and so on pretty much all say the same thing. Yet they are renowned despite the message being repeated over and over again not only in previous editions but also within the pages of each rendition. Rendition being the operative word as to how many of us would do well to appreciate such a skill ... skillful writing that requires proportional focus in hearing what's really being said. Words that take on new meaning with repeated listening.

Try processing the books in different ways. If you read all the time, try listening to an audio sample instead. If you listen all the time, try reading instead. Reflect what your intention is with the absorbing of said text? Are you open to whatever comes? Are you able to let go of conflicting information and still take on what feels inline with your way of being? The latter requires one even knows that there way of being is ... which is why people suffering ... require more self reflection to understand why many of these books sound like nothing more than marbles bounding around in ones head as oppose to any kind of healing text.

I hear man ... I really do. Thankfully I have learned after more than a decade of deep soul searching with above listed books that there is always something new waiting in those old message. It really is just a matter of accepting the changes that do or do not take place within myself. Many of the answers that heal have been around for thousands of years. For sure it helps in the telling, but nothing beats having ears to hear.

It's all about the process ... As we evolve so do the messages. Coming to understand this allows us to create one line of text that has infinite meaning. Once you get to this stage, one can repeat themselves like a monk chanting in a cave as they make their way to the land of bliss. lol

Not sure if any of that helps ... I'm just telling myself the same old thing.
    Last edited by Ponder; 10-13-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin88 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for helpful books about coping with depression?
    How about these books ... I have not read them myself and will have to source elsewhere. They do seem to have good reviews though.

I might of just found myself a source for the first Book - Undoing Depression. Hopefully I will be able to give my own review soon enough.

Additionally I found a website dedicated to his books on depression:
    http://undoingdepression.com/

Some more books of his on the bottom of page.

Thank you Ponder. I will check out your recommendations. I can't say enough how I appreciate the thought you put into your response, and the advice is beyond what I was expecting. But "expecting" does speak to how I am approaching this as you put so eloquently. If I expect nothing but open to everything I will get more out of the books I have tired. I believe that. Odd how sometimes a thought or an expression is just waiting to come out, then someone like yourself puts these thoughts or expressions into words and it's like, that's it! I try to stay present like Tolle tells us is the only place we can exist. I get to the end of "Power of Now" and go right back to the beginning, I really like his work. Mainly because I believe his story about his depression and how one night it was like a plug was pulled and his ego went down the drain. Putting that into words allowed me to express the feelings I had about my ego for a long time. Anyway, thanks Ponder

Why hasn't my thread been approved yet in almost 24 hours. Is it because the moderators were last seen around 2013 ? What's going on here..

Hi. This forum is self moderated. Just the way many of us like it. Until you make 25 posts you cannot use links and limited only to so many words/characters.

Keep posting short posts with no links. Respond where ever and as much as you like. The long time members do a good job addressing troll like posts. Freedom of expression is what makes this forum special. There are no mental health inustrialzed or marketing agendas here.

This forum is not popularised. Another great thing we older members love. Enjoy your stay!
    Last edited by Imperfect; 08-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.

thank you for making this forum - long term sufferer