Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

New Here....Looking for Help

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm 26 years old, female, and suffering from depression and anxiety. I was diagnosed with depression in 2001 and since then have been on Celexa, which has worked fine. However, my anxiety seems to have gotten a lot worse in the last 6 months or so. I am really feeling myself now avoiding certain situations like meeting new people, going to amusement parks, or anything else that would be considered fun and exciting. I tend to want to stay in my own element with my own routine. I have had physical symptoms like the inability to eat, nausea/vomiting, headaches, shaky hands, and extreme tiredness to where I feel like I want to sleep most of the time. I'm getting ready to make an appt with a psychologist to start some counseling. I did this a few years ago and it seemed to help, so I figured why not try it again.

I guess I'm looking for people who are experiencing somewhat of the same as me to talk to....Thanks! :?

hey sweetie. welcome. it is pretty slow here. I told someone else this earlier but you should try the book "the anxiety and Phobia workbook" (something like that) by Edmund J Bourne PH D. my friend recommended it to me (her therapist told her to get it) and i love it. it teaches you "baby steps" to help you be able to get out again. if you can, go to a bookstore and check it out, (its $20) or buy it on amazon for like $16. I swear by this thing. I am okay out in public, but i have bad anxiety, panic as well. it totally drives you crazy and all you want to feel is normal. lol. I know. therapy is a great start though. so great job on your first step!

hi scoober
    i;m a 35 yr old female and i've been on celexa for abouts 4 or 5 yrs now but this week Nov 26-nov 31 has been very frustrating. When i start to get anxious the first thing to bother me is breathing, and no one really understands how it feels and you try to take a deep breath and it just stops half way. This is my first time in a forum and i read your entry and i was wondering if you had seen a therapist yet?.. I was thinking that would be my next step. please reply..scootie

Quote Originally Posted by scootie
    hi scoober
    i;m a 35 yr old female and i've been on celexa for abouts 4 or 5 yrs now but this week Nov 26-nov 31 has been very frustrating. When i start to get anxious the first thing to bother me is breathing, and no one really understands how it feels and you try to take a deep breath and it just stops half way. This is my first time in a forum and i read your entry and i was wondering if you had seen a therapist yet?.. I was thinking that would be my next step. please reply..scootie
    I know how you feel as breathing and heart symptoms are the worst with anxiety. I was in a cbt group and it has helped me immensely. If you can join one I would highly recommend it. The first book we used in my group has a really good introduction to the whole process called Been there, done that? do this! by sam obitz. The tea form exercise in that book has helped me a ton and I still do them all the time when I get upset or anxious. Try and get involved in cbt it really helps.