Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I agree that affirmations do not work to change core beliefs. But all core beliefs are based on a kind of a logic - what changes those beliefs is to have them challenged with a better logic that gives us that "aha!" moment - an epiphany. In that moment we can and do change our core beliefs and almost immediate change can come about.

I'm not sure I like the logic that I will deal with it to be honest - because it doesn't silence the fear that I cant or might not - it feels like it still requires something from me that I dont have. I prefer the idea that I dont have to deal with it - they can deal with not liking me or me having an anxiety attack. I deny myself any escape route as part of my recovery - a better plan when you think you have anxiety coming and wonder "what will I do" is to plan to have an anxiety attack and a public one at that, hell I plan to tell everybody and let them deal with it - and maybe even have a little sit down and rest right there (should it actually happen). It always goes away when I plan that. You dont have anxiety attacks when you genuinely couldn't care less - thats the secret sauce.

This doesn't really work for me. The thought of my bad thoughts actually coming true are so horrible that I can't think that I would deal with it. I would welcome death over my greatest fear.

i found some really good points in what you have said. i think i need more than "whatever happens i will deal with it." i need to add a little more to it but that is something to work with.

Interesting, Assertive works with assertive types, not passives but there is a technique that works with all types. It is based on the fact that positive thought can only access positive reactions in memory. So using positive words in place of negative words blocks access to fear without blocking function. EG: I want to, (positive) in place of, I have to (negative). Think about it, everything you do with ease you do because you want to, but things you have to do are harder.
    Beware of riders, if, and, and buts are riders, use one of these in a thought and the thought changes from positive to negative or vice versa.

Interesting Dave. I will try to remember that, however (I hope that's not riding ) I don't believe language is that simple, or I mean, Language is often used too much to indicated and or measure a person, when really in many complex cases, a complex system such as our language, fails miserable to asses the measure of a persons state. Having said that though, I do like the way you have drawn out such a context with using words with respect to being or leading into Negative and Positive states.

I will keep that in mind with my own self expression.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Ponder; 10-02-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

We learn in school and at home words and their meanings and they go into memory but out on the street we use slang that means one thing to us and another to memory. Acronyms are okay if the meaning doesn't change.
    If you go to Nomorepanic as a guest you can read what others say in the "words" thread on the panic board. Interesting reading if you ignore what is not related. It is sort of like a blog I started and others added to. Not everyone agreed.

Our language is really limiting. People twist words to make them mean what is right for them. They really should be teaching more meaningful things. I learend so much more in the street.

I'll be right thanks.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Jessed03

Technically, I know how and why this works, suffice to say it works. It is all under memory on the net.

well said!! I have been using a therapist who is awesome and uses the same sort of advise..his site has some really good info on there especially about neuroscience..manchesteranxietyhelp.co.uk

I have started attacking my fear through exposure therapy and it seems to be working.

My psychologist says it takes 21 days to create new pathways.

I have therefore jotted down my fears and I plan to face down frontally.

I have re-started my 21 day program as I was not faithfully to the last one.

I did however find benefits from the last one.

If you have anxiety, it's best to face the fear fully and until you stop being afraid. Its the fear you are really afraid of, fear of developing a panic attack. Once you lose that fear, you'd be okay.

There's a street in my neighborhood which I have been avoiding forever but now walk it everyday as part of my treatment and I'm getting better.

Please follow my journey. It's in my blog